Chapter 18: Bodyguards and Forts

"No, you don't get the benefit of apologies. She's hurt because you couldn't do your job!" The angry voice woke me from my much needed sleep. My stomach growled as the voice continued.

"Proof? You want proof? There's a fairly large cut across her neck if you want to go and check, Eric."

A faint voice spoke up, "Eric was assigned to the new guest, Sir. He had nothing to do with the harm that came to Isabella. You may blame me for the event."

"Assigned? By who?"

"Isabella herself, Sir. I believe her exact words were, 'Guard her with your life,' Sir."

I slipped on my glasses and slid out of bed. The cold tile caused a shiver to run down my spine, so I wandered to the closet and stuffed sock-looking slippers onto my feet. Crossing the room, I opened my bedroom door a crack.

Enoch was clearly distressed and angry, judging by his rigid figure and the hand tousling his hair.

"Isabella, you can come out." His voice abruptly sounded. Shock filled me before I quietly crept from the room in my white tank top and red plaid pajama pants. Eric and Tony, my bodyguards, turned to look at me and I folded my arms across my nearly-bare chest.

Tony, a man in his early twenties, stared shamelessly and I fidgeted under his stare. Enoch quickly glanced at what Tony was seeing before his eyes widened and he stepped in front of me. I poked my head around Enoch to see what Tony did.

"Pardon my asking, Tony, but what were you looking at?" Enoch practically growled. I glanced at him for only a moment before Tony drew my attention back to him.

"Admiring the view, Sir."

My cheeks flamed as Tony locked eyes with me. I sensed Enoch about to step forward and beat the crap out of him, so I gently placed my hand on his arm and met his gaze. His eyes softened as he noticed my distress, and I faintly shook my head as if to say not now.

He stared at me and spoke, never evading eye contact.

"Tony, you're released. Get out."

I looked at Tony as he sent one last lingering look in my direction and descended the steps quickly.

Enoch's voice pulled me back to his eyes, "Eric, resume your assignment."

A simple nod in Enoch's direction and Eric went to return to Lyssie.

Enoch broke eye contact, taking the security of his eyes with him. I quickly shuffled toward my bedroom awkwardly before a warm hand wrapped softly around my forearm.

"Wait," I heard Enoch whisper. I turned my head to look at his exhausted figure.

He slouched, bags underneath his eyes, and stared tiredly at the floor. I was still a little angry at him for letting Kirk cut me, but I could understand where Enoch was coming from. He needed to manipulate Kirk and get his bravado down a notch.

I went to ask what was wrong but was pulled into an embrace before I could even open my mouth. Enoch gripped me tightly, seeming to never want to let go.

I weaved my arms around his back and rested my cheek on his chest. I knew he was tired, he stayed beside me all night in case I woke up in a panic.

It was almost every hour that it happened. He hardly got any sleep.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, catching me off guard. I stuttered for a moment before replying.

"What? Sorry for what?"

"Not protecting you."

"You don't need to protect me."

"Yeah, I do."