Chapter 7 : Love is hard to get

Amberfang and Dustheart talked all night, they were getting closer and closer every second.

"It's getting late, Dustheart." Amberfang meowed.

"Yeah.. Let's go to bed!" Dustheart purred as Amberfang nodded.

They both padded into the warrior's den. They both picked moss beds that were beside each other and drifted to sleep.
·~·~·~·~·
"Amberfang! Wake up!!!" Dustheart exclaimed. Amberfang opened her eyes to see Dustheart
standing in front of her. Her heart skipped a beat after seeing the handsome tom.

"M-morning, Dustheart!" Amberfang purred. Dustheart muzzled Amberfang and padded out the den.

Amberfang did the same, but before leaving, she spent a long  time thinking and thinking, until she left.

Outside she saw cats chatting happily, but what caught her eye was Dustheart and Patchstring sharing tongues. Dustheart put his tail on Patchstring. Jealousy and disappointment filled Amberfang. She went off, going the other direction.

"Hello, everyone! The will be a Gathering today that will be held later this afternoon. I, Orangeclaw, Cleartail, Amberfang, Dustheart, Darkwhisker and Patchstring will come with me. The rest, stay!" Emberstar announced on short notice.

Amberfang was filled with excitement!

I cannot believe this!! I'm joining the Gathering!! Yepee! Amberfang thought cheerfully.

Dustheart smiled at her but Amberfang looked away, jealousy still striking her.

"Hey, Amberfang! Have you heard? Darkwhisker and Spottear are mates now!!" Cleartail exclaimed.

"Really?!?! Eeeek! Eeeek! I love it! Have you thought of mating?" Amberfang said.

"I errr.... I was thinking about Treasuretrail..." Cleartail purred shyly, shoving her paws around the dirt awkwardly.

"Then go for it!!" Amberfang meowed. Cleartail smiled.

"You think? I'll think about it!" Cleartail purred.
·~·~·~·~·~·~·
The cats followed Emberstar across the winding path and reached Peace Stone. This is where the clans meet all the time.
"Hey, Amberfang! Let's sit here!" Dustheart meowed.

"Why don't you sit with Patchstring?! I observed she's fond of you and you of her!!" Amberfang snapped angrily, lashing her tail dangerously. She padded away swiftly. While Dustheart sighed from a distance.

Clearstar jumped on his rock followed by the other leaders.

"How's Stone Clan? And Ember Clan? And Green Clan? I heard your doing well! We have seven new kits born! Jewelkit, Lynxkit, Seakit, Petalkit, Mudkit, Earkit and Raykit. You, Stone Clan?" Clearstar meowed.

"We are healthy, and surprisingly not losing any prey. Our fresh-kill pile is as full as ever! Our warriors are healthy. But, Greenstar, we can smell a cat from your clan close to our clan, what is this about?" Stonestar asked.

"Ah, you see, we discovered that
Dustspot is visiting a tom in your clan. We punished her and she swore to never visit the tom ever again," Greenstar purred.

"Our plants and trees are as green as ever, and we are very well protected and camouflaged. Prey is not that scarce but we'll live with it." Greenstar added.

"As for Emberclan," Emberstar meowed. "We have brand new warriors and three new healthy kits. Tickkit, Blackkit and Gemkit."

"Oh! I didn't know they were born already! I better know what's happening in our clan!" Amberfang meowed to herself.

"Stonestar, we can smell a Stone Clan apprentice and seen one while patroling our border." Emberstar.

"Must be Dawnpaw. Always gets lost! Even in our clan! Oh my. I wonder how Dawnpaw gets lost all the time!?" Stonestar complained. The other leaders laughed including Emberstar.

"Well, let's e nd this here." Emberstar meowed. The other leaders nodded and leaped down their rock.

Emberstar signaled for the cats to follow him. Again, he led them back into Ember Clan. Amberfang could see Patchstring talking to Dustheart, but Dustheart seemed as if trying to ignore Patchstring.

They arrived at the camp a few minutes later. Cats gathered around Emberstar and the cats who joined and asked several questions.

"Well, Blackear, nothing very special occured in the Gatherning. The other leaders from other clans just told each other what's up and down in their clan. But they also discussed why they could smell other cats from other clan's in their territory." Amberfang told Blackear. Blackear nodded.

"That's nice that they are all in peace this Gathering. In some Gatherings, they fight. And they fight as if their life depends on
it." Cloudstorm purred.

Amberfang dipped her head and walked away, leaving other cats talk about the Gathering. It wasn't much like what Amberfang expected it to be, but, oh well.

"Amberfang!" Dustheart called.

"Go away!" Amberfang growled.

"Why are you mad?!"

"Go to your beloved Patchstring, and LEAVE ME ALONE!" Amberfang hissed, some tears rolling down her eyes.

"Hey! It's noting like that! She was tricking me into spending so much time with her, okay? When I realized what she was doing, I ignored her completely." Dustheart explained, trying to convice Amberfang.

"Liar!" Amberfang spat. "I saw you and her sharing tongues and sitting beside each other and everything!"

"I told you, she tricked me. She told me clean her, so I did! And she asked lots of questions I didn't realize she was leaning on me already!" Dustheart pleaded.

But Amberfang was not satisfied. She walked away, her tail lashing dangerously.

She sat by the prey pile and ate a mouse. It tasted yummy. She kept thinking about what Dustheart said.

Was he telling the truth? Now that I think about it.... I think he was. I was blinded by jealousy that I couldn't think staright. I was overreacting. I guess he did tell the truth.... Amberfang thought.

She went into the warriors den and started to sleep. But the den was full of chattering cats that she exited in an instant.

She sat beneath the moon, staring at the stars. She was thinking about so many things she didn't notice Dustheart sat beside her.

"Hey, I'm sorry. I didn't mean any of this." Dustheart purred.

"I'm sorry too... I wasn't thinking straight. I'm sorry." Anberfang purred, she felt like Dustheart was her brother. But his next words suprised her.

"I've been thinking about this... lately. Can I ask you something?" Dustheart asked. Amberfang nodded.

"Can... can... c-can... you.. umm... c-can you... OH WHATEVER! Can you be my mate?" He asked.

Amberfang blushed furiously.

"Well... I'll think about it." Amberfang purred. "But I'm thinking of a 'yes' though... but I'll give you the answer the next day." She replied. They both went in the den and drifted to sleep.