Chapter 8 : Orangeclaw's loss

Amberfang woke up, the bright sunlight almost blinding her.
She sat up, adjusting her eyes to her surroundings. Then saw Dustheart in front of her.

"Yes or no." He asked.

"I'm still-"

"Yes or no."

"Thinking!"

"Yes.or.no."

"YES!" Amberfang meowed.
Dustheart seemed delighted.

"Well, you are now my mate! I don't know how Patchstring will react to this. But I'm glad you said 'yes'." Dustheart purred.

Amberfang muzzled Dustheart as they walked out the den.

Amberfang walked to the fresh-kill pile while Dustheart to Darkwhisker. Amberfang took a pigeon and ate it. She groomed herself because she didn't want to smell like pigeon all day!

"Amberfang! Is it true?! You and Dustheart are mates?" Cleartail asked.

Amberfang nodded shyly as Cleartail jumped with joy!

"About time! He has been crushing on you all the time before. He talks how nice it would be if you were his sister. By the way, my mate is not Treasuretrail. It's Cloudstorm! It's funny how a cat's mind can change in an instant." Cleartail mrowed.

"Yeah. Congrats! But.. Patchstring had also been crushing on him. I'm afraid on how she'll act." Amberfang sighed.

"WHAT?!?!" Patchstring's voice echoed. She was talking to Spottear.

"NO! SHE CAN'T BE HIS MATE!!"

"Well, there she goes. Crying like a kitten over Dustheart." Cleartail whispered in Amberfang's ear.

Patchstring walked angrily towards Amberfang.

"YOU!!! YOU DO KNOW HE LIKES ME MORE!! YOU JUST... CONVINCED HIM!!" She hissed.

"What's going on here, Patchstring?! Why are you threatening Amberfang?!" Dustheart growled.

"You like me more! Admit it, Dustheart!! She just persuaded you to be her mate." Patchstring hissed again.

"Correction, we fought. She was mad that I kept spending time with you. Because you tricked me into spending time with you! I surprised her by asking her to be my mate. She knew nothing about my plan. I liked her from the start. I only liked you as a friend." Dustheart meowed.

Patchstring was stunned, her eyes were wide open if felt like her eyes would pop out.

"B-but... I'd never t-trick you!!" Patchstring insisted.

"No more excuses, Patchstring. Amberfang's my mate and that's it!" Dustheart exclaimed. Amberfang felt very guilty.

"Dustheart, you don't have to shout at her." Amberfang purred.
Patchstring looked at Amberfang with some gratitude and a little hate.

"I-it's fine!! I have a backup crush! Cloudstorm!" Patchstring meowed.

"Ummm.... Patchstring, I'm listening you know." Cloudstorm purred.

"C-c"

"It's fine, Patchstring. But... I have Cleartail as my mate. I asked her myself." He meowed.

"Love is hopeless..." Patchstring sighed.

"Mom said I'm not worthy enough for love. My adopted mom. She never loved me like a true kit. That's why I want to experience this love. By having someone to do so." Patchstring purred.

"Wait for the right time, and a tom with definitly fall for you." Amberfang told Patchstring.

"Thank you-.I mean! Whatever!!" Patchstring growled. But Amberfang kept her smile on.