Chapter 3: Secrets Behind the Lock and Key

"Lauren, wake up."

Sunlight fought to stream through the tiny basement window, the cold air greeting Lauren's bare feet as her soothingly warm comforter was yanked away. The girl grumbled, rolling over and hiding her face into the familiar scented fabric of her pillow.

"Lauren." The voice said again, adopting a tone that was both loving, and endlessly amused. "C'mon, you've got an exam in one hour."

"No." Lauren muttered back, drawing out the word in a low, raspy drawl. "You have reached a number that is no longer in service at this time. Please hang up and try your call again. Or don't. I couldn't care less." 

"You're funny." The voice laughed. "But you still have to get up. Are you going to make this easy for me, or are we going to need to get Camila?"

"No." Lauren simply replied, reaching blindly for her covers and grabbing at the edge, pulling them back onto her body and smiling at the warmth. "No Camila."

"Mila!" The person in the room turned around and headed for the stairs. "You were right, we're going to need you down here!"

Forcing her eyes open, Lauren looked to the side of the room to see Normani, standing near the stairs with her hands in the pockets of a pair of cut off jeans. She was smirking.

"What part of no Camila didn't you understand?"

"The no part." The girl shrugged, smiling when the sound of pattering feet ahead grew louder. Groaning, Lauren turned back towards the wall and balled herself up into her covers, yanking them over her head like the world's warmest cocoon. The feet entered the room, jogging down the stairs.

"I'll take it from here." Camila's low, morning voice would have been enticing, if not for the fact that it was a few seconds away from shouting at her.

"All yours."

As Normani disappeared, Lauren heard Camila approach the bed, and a sudden weight pressed down on her hips.

"Good morning, my special little snowflake." The brunette chimed, hands coming down on Lauren's upturned shoulder and shaking hard. "You've got Membrane Biochemistry in one hour."

"Get off me." Lauren muttered, remaining hidden under the blanket.

"Oh I don't think so." Camila giggled. "Come on, everyone's already up."

"Go to hell."

Lauren felt the girl lean down close, warm breath inches away from her exposed ear. "Well that was quite rude." Camila purred. "With having to wake your sorry ass up every morning, I'm kinda already there."

"You little fucker—" Lauren wrenched her body around with a start, twisting her hips and using the momentum to shove Camila off the bed and let her tumble to the ground. The girl landed on the carpet with a dull thud and a small squeak, and silence followed. Turning back to the wall, Lauren curled up again with a pleased smile on her face, snuggling back into the warmth.

After a few beats of quiet, the girl tentatively turned her head, cracking one eye open just in time to see Camila pop up from the ground like a gopher in it's tunnel, only her head, neck and shoulders visible. Her hair was freshly tousled, lips tightened into a pout and eyebrows furrowed deep in annoyance.

"Oh my god you're adorable." Lauren breathed, forcing herself to tear her gaze away from the cartoonish sight and back to the wall. She heard Camila rise, muttering a few words in Spanish under her breath before jogging back up to the main floor. Satisfied, Lauren let herself slip back into a light slumber.