Chapter 10: The Baby Effect

Lauren held her breath as she knocked on the cream coloured door, the small number plate on it's top half adorned with a petite flower pattern. Behind her, Camila was pacing nervously, repeatedly loosening and tightening the tie of her ponytail.

"Camz, can you not?" Lauren questioned over her shoulder. "Just stay still babe."

"God I hope everything went okay." The brunette folded her arms beneath her chest, the grip she had around her waist visibly tightening. "Please tell me everything went okay."

The door opened, and on the other side Normani had a tired smile on her face. "Hey guys, you made it." Her voice was the softest Lauren had ever heard it, the sound immediately making her heart skip a beat. "Come on in, just try to keep your voices down. Troy had to step out to finish prep on the nursery so there's lots of room."

Nodding, Lauren took a still panicked Camila by the hand and led her inside. The room had soft pink walls, and two small nightside tables that flanked a double bed. Ally was tucked in the middle of it, a tiny pink bundle in her arms and an exhausted look on her face.

"Hey guys." She smiled, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "I'm happy you're here."

"I'm so sorry Ally." Camila hurried over and crouched down by the top of the bed. "I was stuck leading an 18 hour surgery, we were repairing a torn aorta and it just kept rupturing, I'm sorry." She dipped forward and pressed a gentle kiss against the Texan's cheek. "We got on a last minute flight, did it go okay? Nothing went wrong?"

"It was fine." Ally nodded, taking a deep breath. "And don't worry about it Mila, you're saving lives, that always comes first." Lauren moved to stand on the other side of the bed, her hip level with Dinah's shoulder and eyes trained down on the bundle in her old friend's arms. "Come here you two."

Nervously, Lauren knelt down and met Normani's glance. The girl gave her a supportive nod, and as Ally peeled back the pink blanket the Latina felt her body grow heavy. The baby was likely the single cutest thing she had ever seen, puffy cheeks, big brown eyes and just a few strands of matching coloured hair. Lauren smiled, feeling tears rush to her eyes and doing everything she could to hold them back as Ally placed the infant in her arms.

"Lauren and Camila, meet Emily." The texan sat up further in the bed, Camila quickly coming to her aid. "I know you guys have been talking about being aunts, but I never asked officially... so—"

"Of course we will." Camila tilted her head against Ally's. "Oh my gosh Ally, she's beautiful."

"Hi there." Lauren brushed the side of her finger against the baby's soft cheek. "You're so perfect..."

The infant made a soft murmuring sound, gazing up at Lauren curiously. The Latina pressed a soft kiss against her forehead. "I'm going to be the best aunt ever. You're going to be able to come to me for all sorts of advice, and we're going to keep secrets from your Mom, and if you ever need to run away you'll know where to find me. I'll also teach you how to mix drinks so you'll be the life of the party wherever you go. I promise."

"Oh god." Ally leaned back against the pillow with a teasing sigh. "I'm already regretting this."

"Now over there, that's Camila." Lauren continued. "She's going to seem like a real buzz-kill at first, but I promise that once you get to know her, it's really not going to make a difference; that's just who she is. Also you should know that when she drives you crazy, you and I can always rant about her behind her back. She drives me crazy too."

"The woman I fell in love with ladies and gentlemen." Camila sighed, shaking her head.

"Oh, and you'll have to learn to ignore all her sarcastic remarks, especially when they come out in Spanish. She means well, but sometimes it can come off as just grouchy." Lauren brushed the baby's cheek again.