Chapter 23: Jauregui

"No matter what the world says, I want you to always believe in yourself."

"What does that mean?"

Daniel laughed, closing the picture book before him and turning Lucas around so they were facing one another. "It means that people are gonna be pretty dumb sometimes." He clarified to the young boy, who was still eying the cover of the book. "And they might make fun of others, and tease them because they can't do the same things."

"Just like the bunny in the story?"

"Just like him." Dan nodded, placing his hand on the boy's head. "Except you're not quite a bunny. You're just a little cuter."

"A little?"

"Fine, a whole lot." He reached up and used his thumb and forefinger to squish the boy's cheeks together then poke him square in the forehead with a playful smile. Lucas tipped backwards on the couch, stretching out with a giggle.

"Uncle Danny!" He laughed, straightening up onto his knees and launching himself into the man as hard as he could. Far stronger, Dan pressed his hand to the top of the boy's head and kept him from getting any further with a sly grin.

"Sorry, just couldn't help myself" He replied, messing up the dark mop of hair on his head.

Lucas made a face, lifting his arms and smoothing out the freshly cut strands small smile. "It's okay, my aunts pinch my cheeks all the time."

"Do they?" Dan leaned back against the couch cushions. "Wow, that must get annoying."

"So annoying." Lucas agreed, shimmying forward and placing both hands on his shoulder, shaking as hard as he could. "Can we read another one?"

"Hold on now, who's annoying?" Camila appeared in the doorway to the basement den, walking inside and tidying a series of Marvel action figures up off the carpet and placing them on the couch.

"Oh you know... just you." Dan tucked his arm around Lucas and tickled his sides, causing the boy to shrivel up and laugh, twisting around on the cushions.

"Me?" Camila walked around and folded her arms. "Excuse me boys, but I'll have you know I am quite the life of the party."

"Not according to Lauren." Daniel joked, patting the toddler on his hip and setting him on his butt onto the couch cushions. "The other day she told me you did one of those little word puzzles they have on the back of the cereal boxes."

"They've suddenly become easier." Camila shrugged, reaching up and idly threading her fingers through Lucas' dark hair. "What are the two of you doing down here?' She asked, taking the nearest bright picture book and opening it to the first page. "Reading some more books?"

"He read three." Lucas held up his fingers, leaning over onto her lap. "Mommy, can you read it now?"

"Lucas, you want her to read the exact same book again?" Dan rested his arm over the top of the couch cushion and grinned down at his nephew. "We just did that one two times in a row."

"He loves this one." Camila chuckled, wrapping her arm around the boy's waist in a hug. "Luke, has your Uncle been teaching you how to be a little devil when you grow up? Because if he's ever a bad influence I want you to come and tell me so I can nip it in the butt."

"Don't you mean in the bud?" Dan frowned.

"Oh I meant what I said." The Latina replied with a grin. "What's this book about Luke?"