Chapter 20: The Strongest Form of Magic

"You know, you're not a bad singer Camila." The shaggy haired boy grinned down at her when they finished their first full run-through. "I think that when you get older, you'll be very talented."

"Really?" The young girl's eyes sparkled fiercely.

"Sure. I love music, and I want to be in a band one day. Maybe you could be my lead singer?"

Camila laughed. "That would be so fun!"

Daniel turned so he was looking his little sister straight in the eye. "Mila, will you try the junior talent show? I think you could win."

"I... I don't know." Camila nibbled on her nail. "I don't want people making fun of me."

"I'll hurt them if they make fun of you, loser." Dan grinned. "You don't need to worry about what people think, you just have to do what makes you happy, and what makes you the most comfortable. No matter what the world says, I want you to always believe in yourself." He paused. "You know, music is something that is really helpful if you're sad, that's why Dad sung to us when we were little. So you gotta promise me that no matter what happens, always keep singing. Promise?"

"Alright." Camila nodded. "I promise."

"Good." Daniel started to leaf through the pages in front of them. "You know, some people say that music is the strongest form of magic."

"Magic like in the movies?"

"That's right." The boy agreed. "You know, a lot of moms and dads don't really believe in music. They don't think the same way we think."

Camila looked down at her toes, her feet still unable to touch the floor from the top of the piano bench. "Why don't they?"

"Maybe it's because they don't believe in magic." Her brother answered. "When they were kids, they thought magic was everywhere... but as adults, they don't believe anymore."

"That's sad." She looked up at him. "Why don't they believe?"

"Because life can be pretty hard." Dan answered. "It can be really unfair, and sometimes when you're feeling really awful you just stop having faith in magic the way you should. And when you stop having that faith, things only get worse."

Camila grinned. "I'll never stop believing. I love magical creatures and music. Everybody knows that."

"Good." He smiled back, lifting his hands once more so his fingers brushed the white of the old piano keys "So no matter what anyone at school says, or mom and dad, or even me. No matter what they say don't stop believing in all the mermaids, angels, dragons and unicorns. Ever."

***

Lauren placed her phone down, taking a deep breath and looking down at Lucas who was gazing up at her with so much hope in his eyes that it physically hurt her. Sighing, she shook her head no at the boy, awaiting his upcoming outburst. "I'm sorry sweetie, but not quite yet."

"What?" His face fell. "But why not? It's been such a long time now, and she even missed her birthday! You guys said it was only going to be a few weeks, why can't she come home?"

"I'm sorry Lucas." She sat down on the barstool, sweeping her hair over one shoulder and taking his arms in her hands gently. "I wish I could tell you otherwise, but a number of things came up, and both Mom, and Auntie Ally think it's best if they stay up there for a little while longer."

"But why?" Lucas protested, shaking her knee hopelessly.

"Well..." Lauren glanced over at Dinah, who was dressed and ready to head out for the day. Meanwhile Normani was still upstairs helping Camron get all his things ready. "I guess... it's taking them longer than they anticipated to clear out the house, and get everything organized. But she said to tell you that things are going really well. She's feeling a lot better, and right when they finish clearing up the old place in Grand Haven, then your Uncle's place in New York, she'll be back."