Chapter 9: Grief, the Last Act of Love

Camila stepped into the sunshine and slammed closed the front car door. Sliding the cluster of keys into her front pocket, she hurried up the steps to the campus daycare and checked in using the familiar sign in sheet situated by the front door. A chorus of song-like greetings followed, one of which she was particularly happy to hear.

"Mommy!"

Lucas, dressed in his little Spider-Man t shirt and adorable shorts came running out the double doors, weaving around a number of legs before he reached Camila and jumped into her arms. Lifting the toddler, the brunette brushed back a few strands of his side swept hair and pressed a loving kiss on his nose. "Well hello there señor. You look like you've had a fun day."

"Yeah." Lucas jammed his fingers in his mouth. "We made pictures, and ate snacks and played with trucks!" The boy waved his little arms and smiled, cheeks puffing out happily. "Can we go home now?"

"Of course." Camila laughed. "How about you run and grab your bag, then we can go."

"Okay!" Lucas exclaimed sliding down out of her arms and running back through the doors. As he disappeared, Camila saw a middle aged woman with a kind smile headed her way.

"Camila? Oh it's so good to see you dear. Where's Clara this afternoon?"

"It's good to see you too Gloria. Lauren's little sister is graduating so she flew back to Miami to aid in the celebration." Camila explained. "She'll be back in a week or so. Lauren claims she was there in spirit. And in e-card."

"Adorable." The woman laughed. "Well give them both my best."

"How did things go today?" Camila asked, watching a series of other children come flooding out of the doors to greet waiting parents.

"He did great." Came the genuine reply. "He barely slept during nap time though, so we might have a bit of an early bedtime tonight."

"Again?"

"Boundless energy." The woman smiled. "It's normal. We tried to get him to at least close his eyes, but it was a lost cause. No need to think much of it."

Camila breathed a small sigh of relief. "I guess I shouldn't be too displeased about it. Being so tired by the end of the day means he's out like a light right after dinner. It also means he sleeps through the night like a charm." She looked at the woman again. "It's weird... most parents cherish the time their kid either goes to daycare or falls asleep, but I almost find myself missing him he's not around."

"That's not weird at all." Gloria laughed. "Camila, it's completely normal for a mother to miss her child, especially one with the hectic schedule like yours."

"I just feel bad." Camila watched her son fish everything he could out of his wooden cubby and turn around to return to her. "Like I should be spending more time with him."

"Lucas will grow to understand the sacrifices you and Lauren are making." The woman replied, a kind hand landing on Camila's shoulder. "I promise."

"Mommy!" Lucas came running back outside, his tiny backpack bumping against his back and a pair of running shoes just barely able to balance in his arms. Camila knelt down and took them from him, placing her hand on his head.

"Can you turn around and tell Miss Gloria goodbye please?" She asked. The boy nodded, turning around obediently and waving a polite goodbye. With a final farewell, Camila scooped him up and carried him back to the car, buckling the boy up into the carseat and starting for home.