Chapter 24: Occam's Razor

"We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances." The laser pointer that belonged to Ally's freckled professor swung across the projector as he read out the words to them. One last elective was all she needed to complete the graduate degree, and it was becoming more and more apparent that social and political philosophy might not have been the right choice for her. Regardless, the southern belle found herself curled up in the desk chair, leaning back and trying to keep her attention on the dry material.

"What the principle means is that when there are two paths, one with far less resistance than another, the logical choice is to walk down the former." He continued, placing his pointer on the desk. "It's something we can all apply to daily life. In the follow statements, Occam says "if you have two theories that both explain the observed facts, then you should use the simplest until more evidence comes along. If you have two likely equal solutions to a problem, choose the simplest." Now I don't know how often the man took his own advice, but in short it means to keep things simple!" He smiled, his gaze sweeping out over the expanse of bored students.

Ally wrote a few notes down in the somewhat blank book before her, cutting herself off when the man started speaking Latin.

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate. Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora. Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem, Sometimes quoting old theories in their original languages gives them an extra layer of authenticity, don't you think?"

There was a soft, yet audible groan that echoed through the class. Ally had to consciously avoid joining in.

"Dr. Locke?" A female student a few rows behind Ally asked, raising her hand at the same time. She was chosen almost immediately, the man at the front clearly enthused that there was at least one individual willing to engage.

"What is it?"

"If this guy really preached that when you have two theories that make the same prediction, the simpler one is always better, then why has fourteenth century history been so complex? Didn't people listen to philosophers back then?"

"Can anyone help out with that question?" The professor asked the rest of the class, waiting for another hand. Ally rolled her eyes, doing so.

"Occam was more a theologian and logician than he was a philosopher." She replied over her shoulder. "Plus people aren't always willing to listen to reason when they have their own self interest at heart, especially in fourteenth century Germany."

"Very true." The professor echoed. "The philosophers of the early centuries did much less to influence the beliefs of the people they wrote for, but more to slowly shape the effects of their teachings into the generations of the future. Occam was an important contributor to our constitutional ideas now, he advocated for a separation of church and state, and he believed that a government should have limited responsibility."

"But the government doesn't have limited responsibility." The girl commented once he was finished. "I'd say the responsibilities of the government are unlimited."

"I'd say we have some responsibilities ourself." Ally replied, not turning around the second time. "But I guess that's just me."

"Ah, this is what I like to see!" The man boomed happily. "Student countering student, a clash of ideas!" He smiled at the Texan. "Good show, both of you."

"Well personally, I don't think early philosophers had much of a impact on the way we run our society now at all." The girl continued with a huffy breath in Ally's direction. "Machiavelli believed that the only kind of ruler that would be successful was one that instilled nothing but fear into their followers. John Stuart Mill said that there should be no restrictions, and the only kind of society should be one based on the emotions of happiness in everyone. There's nothing like that in our world today."