A Trip Down Memory Lane

Night 3 A

Night 3 A.M, a middle aged man paced back and forth nervously in a hospital waiting room. Beads of sweat rolled down his sideburns and stained his shirt collar. The gentle tick-tock of the wall clock was amplified by the ambient silence. Everyone else in the waiting room was fast asleep except this man.

A nurse came out and smiled at the man. The expression on his face changed and he raced past the paan stained corridors into the adjacent room. A beautiful woman in her 30s was sitting on the hospital bed. She appeared exhausted, yet very beautiful. As he reached closer to her, he saw that she was in tears, but still smiling. She cradled in her hands a tiny bundle wrapped in soft cloth. A baby: soft, pink, full of life and too big to be wrapped completely in the hospital cloth.

 A baby: soft, pink, full of life and too big to be wrapped completely in the hospital cloth

The baby, a 4.5kg behemoth, struggled unsuccessfully to escape out of the cloth wrapping. The man places a peck on the woman's cheek and sat on the hospital bed besides her. They held hands and looked adoringly at the child as he looked back at this new person who had just entered into his point of view. They sat there silently for hours looking at the child, until it yawned a few times and fell asleep.

"Aanya, we only decided upon girl names, what now? " the man asked.

"I have something in my mind. The child of Rishab and Aanya. How does Rishaan sound?" she asked.

The man smiled looking at the sleeping baby and said, "It sounds perfect."

*****

14 YEARS LATER

A teenage Rishaan walks out from his bedroom, dressed in his school uniform. He wears the maroon tie on the cream shirt and walks towards the dining area of their apartment.

His parents were already seated on the dining table.

"Mmm, French toast!" Rishaan said looking at the scrumptious breakfast.

His father looks up and asks, "So how long did you study last night?"

"I stayed up all night, sorry, I studied till 4 am then read your books for another hour. But don't worry I am feeling quite fresh," Rishaan replied.