Present Boxes

“Thank you both for a lovely day but I think it’s time we head off.” Aaron rose from the couch and Jack looked up from where he was building legos on the floor with Little S.

It was well past both children’s bed time but all three of you adults had been utterly stuffed from the huge Christmas dinner you’d slaved over and no one had wanted to move.

Christmas this year had been wonderful. It had snowed again overnight which had added to the magic. You and Spencer had been up until gone midnight setting presents out downstairs and carefully creeping into your daughters bedroom to fill the stocking at the end of her bed. Reid had wanted to don a full Santa outfit just in case she woke up but you convinced him that it would be a waste of time and money. Saiorse would sleep through an earthquake if one happened.

After putting the finishing touches to the presents, Spencer had pulled you down onto the rug in front of the fire and you’d spent another hour having some of your own Christmas fun, knowing that you both be too tired to indulge in any tomorrow. Well, technically it was today.

Saiorse had bounded into your bedroom this morning at 7am, although you’d both expected her much earlier. You’d been awake, lying next to each other and having some morning smooches when she ran in, dragging her stocking in with her. She crawled into bed between you and unwrapped the items in her stocking, squealing with each small gift.

After an hour or so you moved downstairs, making coffee for you and Reid and hot chocolate for Little S and you settled down to watch her open her larger presents.

Strangely for her, she wasn’t ripping the boxes open; instead being very careful and peering into each box with a look of expectation on her face. Whilst she looked pleased with the many, many gifts you gotten her, she still went and looked under the tree, looking confused when there was nothing else there.

“Everything okay, Baby?” You asked her, shooting Spencer a concerned look.

She shrugged, muttering something to herself and then sitting herself down cross legged to start leafing through one of the huge books she’d recieved.

Aaron and Jack arrived around midday, and the gift giving resumed again, Jack and Little S playing together whilst you and Aaron moved to the kitchen to start preparations for dinner. You kept the double doors open so you could see into the living room, the sounds of the two children and Spencer playing together filling your heart with joy.

As you chopped and peeled vegetables Aaron asked you what Spencer had bought you Christmas.

“We decided not to do presents this year. Instead we’ve booked a week away for alone together. Lia is going to look after Saiorse for the week.”

“Ahhh, so that’s what the holiday requests were for.” He looked at you knowingly.

“Yep… So regardless of who gets killed, we will both be off that week. We’re going to need it.” You definitely were going to need some alone time with your husband before….. well, you just were.

Dinner was lovely, even considering that you’d cooked it. Last year you’d gone to Hotchs’ and the year before, you’d made the trip to your sisters. Next year, you’d been planning on making the trip to Vegas to spend it with Spencers Mom, but that might have to change.

The two Hotchners bid you all goodbye, Saiorse giving Jack an extra long hug. They were so cute together, even though there was that age difference between them. Henry was the same. Both boys adored her and you did wonder whether there was going to problems when she was older.

“Bedtime Baby.” You told her and for once she didn’t argue, instead just raising her arms to you and letting you pick her up. Spencer followed you up the stairs and you both got her ready for bed. You kissed her goodnight and Spencer settled down to read her a quick bedtime story. You told him you were going to have a quick bath and then would join him down stairs.