Dark Encounter

I leaned my body forward, moving all of my weight to my legs as Poison's hooves pounded the sand, racing madly with his ear pinned flat against his head. I tried to gather my leather reins, but when I pulled on them I felt that Poison had taken the bit between his teeth, rendering me helpless as he surged forward, guards still shouting at us from behind. For the briefest moment I cursed myself for not taking one of the leisure, bullet proof horses my parents insisted I ride. But hating my choices wouldn't fix the predicament I was in now. I lifted my head up, trying to see if there was another way I could control him, but all I saw was the fence that surrounded the outdoor arena and my heart plummeted.

"Poison, come on, slow down." I tried to keep my voice calm, but it shook with undeniable fear. I tried again to pull on the reins, knowing that Poison wouldn't be able to see the dark fence in the dim light streaming from the indoor arena. "Please, Poison." I was begging now, the fear giving way to desperation. "Whoa boy." I pleaded, though I hadn't even taught him that voice command, nor had his previous owners. Regardless, he wasn't going to listen, he was in full flight mode.

Then, by some miracle, Poison saw the fence that my own human eyes could barely make out. I could feel his muscles tense beneath me and I prepared my body for a very sudden stop. But instead, I felt Poison quicken his pace and horror filled me. He was going to try and jump the monster five foot fence. I had been riding for years and I had never tried to jump that high, much less on a green, unpredictable horse like Poison. Not to mention the fact that him and I were both going into this almost literally blind. I became so nervous I wanted to throw up, and my steed picked up on my feelings, but they only made him go faster.

"No!" I shouted, trying to pull on the reins once more. He just ignored me again as if I hadn't said a thing.

Then, we were airborne, flying over the huge fence together. Poison leapt into the air, jumping higher than I had ever seen and I could only tuck myself into a two point position and move with him unless I wanted to tumble onto the cold sand. I swear I held my breath the whole time we were moving over the jump, terrified that he hadn't seen the top rail and we were both going to land in a heap. Then, finally, after what felt like forever, Poison landed on the other side of the fence.

"Oh my god." I breathed, looking behind us as the fence disappeared, being swallowed by the darkness with every long stride. Soon I couldn't see the running guards either or the light streaming from the barn and I knew that- even the guards who had shifted- had no chance of keeping up with us. This horse had been bred to be a champion. He could run faster and for longer period of time than any of my pure bred sport horses.

Poison galloped at a maddening speed for what felt like an eternity and he continued to hold the bit between his teeth the entire time. Eventually, I gave up on trying to steer him. He would tire himself out or spook at something in the dark, then I would have control again. I would spin him around, walk him back the way we came and wait to be intercepted by the guards that were no doubt still tailing us. I could be escorted back home and my parents would glare at me before hugging me and telling me that I was a fool for trying to do something so foolish.

Then my stomach dropped when I thought about what they would do to Poison. I knew that I had made a lot of progress with him. He was turning out to be a great horse with a strong mind and a powerful body. But they didn't see that. They just saw his tantrums, heard about the time he kicked a groom and nearly broke his leg. They would never let me near Poison again, even though this was not his fault. If people would learn a little horse sense none of these things would've even happened!

Finally, Poison slowed to a level canter and I was able to get a hold of the bit again, pulling him up to a steady trot just as we splashed through a shallow creek that I hadn't even seen up until now. In the back of my mind I heard my father's voice, reminding me about the creek, but I couldn't remember why he told me to avoid it. I guess it didn't matter. Poison stamped a foot in the water before he shook out his mane and crossed the rest of the way. I rolled my eyes a little. Most horses would've been fine with people and horrified on getting their hooves wet in the dark, but not my horse, oh no.

"God I'm going to be in so much shit." I whispered, trying to guide Poison back around and back through the creek. But he froze and his ears went flat against his head.

"Well, hello Princess." Someone murmured in the dark.

**Any idea on who or what this mysterious person is?**