The Bachelorette

The next morning I was actually allowed to sleep in which I was terribly grateful for because all of the planning had become exhausting. I was also deeply satisfied because I knew that my mother and father were busy greeting betas and alphas from all over the world while I was bundled up in blankets, happy and thoroughly comfortable. I savoured the rare silence by pulling out a book and reading while I slipped in and out of a light doze.

Sadly, around noon my time in quiet isolation was over very abruptly as my stylist burst through my bedroom door, her skinny arms loaded up with container of products and brushes.

"Go shower while I set up the vanity." She ordered.

I did as I was told, enjoying the peace and the warmth in the shower before I slipped on a silk robe and sat patiently as my hair was tugged in hundreds of directions and every knot was yanked on until it no longer existed. Normally, this kind of treatment would've bothered me, I wasn't terribly patient, and seeing my face and hair turn into something completely foreign was not my favorite. However, I had partially agreed to do this and even if I hadn't I knew that I had to maintain the theory that I had yet to find my mate until I was prepared for the consequences.

After two hours of soft brushes grazing my face and nearly a thousand spritzes of hair spray I was deemed ready to put my attire on so I could finally officially greet my guests. I wasn't entirely sure how many alphas would be here, but I was assuming it would be close to thirty. The high number was daunting. I wasn't sure what was expected by the end of the night- was I to name a future king already or just narrow it down to a top ten?- but I knew that trying to gauge the true personality of thirty people at once was going to be difficult and exhausting.

"There." My stylist sighed, smiling at me as she placed a grand tiara on my head, "You look so lovely, I think you're ready to go a meet your alphas."

I nodded tightly, feeling the bitter reminder in my heart that my alpha was not going to be here. Thankfully, I was smart enough to keep my mouth shut and tried not to falter as I walked past my stylist and out of my room.

The walk to the main hall was as daunting as ever. I knew I looked stunning in the dark blue dress. I mean, after two hours just dedicated to my hair and makeup how could I not? But I no longer looked like me. My long hair didn't have the soft waves it usually did and all the products in it took away the natural glossy shine. As far as my hair was concerned I was simply thankful my stylist didn't shove it full of bobby pins, this time only a couple to hold up a loose twist. My green eyes popped because of the layers of gold eye shadow and my usually unnoticeable lips demanded attention because of the intense plum lipstick.

I took a deep, even breath just outside the main hall, looking solidly at the guard who stood in front of the door. I hoped I didn't look half as nervous as I felt. But with any luck, some of these men would be just as stressed out and scared as I was.

"Are you ready to be announced?" the guard asked gently.

"Yes, thank you." I replied, straightening my floor length dress.

He nodded to me, then quietly opened one door, disappeared and perfectly proclaimed my arrival. Once the words were out of his mouth the double doors in front of me opened completely and I did my absolute best to look sure and confident as I strode in to the room. My heels clicked against the marble floor and they were the only sound in the complete silence. Finally, when I reached the center of the room by my parents I dipped into a low curtsy.

My mother was smiling from one ear to the other, but I couldn't tell if it was because I hadn't refused to cooperate or if it was because she thought I looked beautiful. Either way she was happy and that made me feel a little better. My dad wasn't looking at me though, his face was quite emotionless and he surveyed all of the men in the room.

After I rose up, I turned away from my parents and finally faced all the men who had travelled from all over the globe just to meet me. Then, I dipped into another curtsy. As I rose back up I watched intently as every male in the room bowed deeply, aside from one tall gentleman in the back. He hardly bobbed his head at all and I instantly disliked him. It was one thing to be casual with me, I hardly ever followed old etiquette, however, my parents- the king and queen- were here and this was a formal event. His actions, or lack thereof, could be considered incredibly disrespectful and I wasn't prepared to deal with that kind of arrogance.

"Well, thank you all for coming." I said, my voice carrying through the large room. "I hope that you all have had a good and safe journey here and have come to enjoy some of the offerings from my palace." I surveyed the room, trying to remain calm when I saw at least twenty pairs of eyes staring back at me. "Since you all must be famished from your long treks here I have decided that we will start our day together with lunch. Please, come follow me."

With that I led a horde of men through my home, down halls lined with photos and paintings, to our dining room that was hardly ever opened up to guests. Once we were all in the dining room my mother and father excused themselves and I was left in the middle of this massive room with twenty men watching me closely. I was suddenly very thankful that my estimate of thirty or more men had been off. I wasn't sure if I could even handle this many dominant men.

"I'm glad you could all make it and I imagine that you all know why you're here, but if you don't I will tell you. I have yet to find my mate and as a princess I must secure a husband to get the crown. Many of you are in the same situation, you have not found your mate, some of you have lost your mate, and a few of you have rejected your mates. Regardless, you are here so I may select someone to be the next king if I do not find my own mate. That being said, I am not making any promises as I do wish to find the man that the moon goddess has made for me." I rambled.

All the men nodded or just watched me blankly. I barely forced a queasy smile and gestured to the gorgeous spread of food on the table before us.

"Let's eat." I announced.

**Please vote and comment if you liked it!**