Reunited

I woke up this time to the sound of my name being screamed. I groggily lifted my head, moaning as the movement caused an intense wave of nausea to hit me. I felt awful. Sore, confused, and so, so tired. All I wanted to do was lie down and nap. At least until this headache went away. So I bobbed my head forward and kept my eyes shut.

"Oh God, Adeline!" Someone screamed.

I knew that voice. I knew that voice well. It was Ryan. I smiled to myself, still half asleep. Then, my brain began working again and I jerked my head up while I opened my eyes.

Horror ran through me instantly.

I tried to yank my arms down by my sides, but it wouldn't work. My arms wouldn't budge despite the throbbing sensation that raced through them. I attempted to grit my teeth in effort. But I couldn't, I only bit down on something thick, dry and coarse between my teeth. I tried to scream, but the rope in my mouth prevented many sounds from leaving my mouth.

"Addy, oh thank god, I thought you were dead." Ryan babbled, suddenly very close to me. "What the hell happened to you? What are you doing all the way out here?" he demanded. His eyes were wide with fright, his chest heaving as if he had been running for a long time.

He looked so different from the last time I had seen him. He still had the same dark hair, the wild green eyes, and the intricate tattoo. Hell, he was even wearing the same clothes I had seen him in the prison. But he had lost weight. And I could no longer view him as a soft, kind man. I now knew that he was a cold blooded killer.

I couldn't help but flinch when his finger came towards my head, worried about what he might do. Ryan didn't seem to notice, his slender fingers just went to work untying a knot on the back of my head. The second the rope was loose I spat it out, letting it fall to the forest floor. Then, I snaked my head around and snapped my teeth at Ryan's fingers.

"Get away from me!" I screamed, "What the hell is this anyway? Kidnapping me then tying me to a fucking tree?"

"What are you talking about, Addy?" Ryan murmured, ignoring me to untie the thick rope that held my body firmly against a tree.

The instant that rope was discarded I could feel blood rush into my arms, making them ache and tingle all at once. But I didn't care. The second I was able to move away from the tree I lunged towards Ryan and began swinging my fists at him, furious, confused, and deeply hurt. I wanted him to feel all the pain that my heart was holding, feel the devastation that I couldn't contain any longer because he had done this to me.

Unfortunately, my brief lessons with my mother hadn't taught me too much because Ryan easily grabbed both of my wrists and pinned them above my head. He held them tightly against the tree while staring at me, those green eyes moving quickly, desperately trying to read my expression, or perhaps, my thoughts. But he was muddling my thoughts, turning them to complete and utter mush with only his proximity.

And when he leaned down, softly pressing his lips to mine, all I could think about was how good he tasted and how much I missed this. His lips were so gentle against mine and his tight hold on my wrists loosened more with every second. Not that I could move anyway. Not only was I completely immobile because of his kiss but his body was pressed against mine, keeping me pinned against the tree.

He pulled away too soon and I made a soft noise of disappointment, but reality came surging back to me.

"I thought you were dead." Ryan rasped out, "When Preston came to get the guards and announced you were missing I was terrified. Then, when I saw you tied to the tree like that, all limp, I thought... I thought I was already too late." He pressed his mouth to mine again, rough and quick.

"I don't want you to kiss me." I whispered, my voice weak.

"What?"

"I don't want you to kiss me anymore, Ry...Ares." I said, sounding stronger this time.

"Ares?"

"Yes, I know that your real name is Ares. And I know all the awful things you've done. And I don't want to be with you."

"Addy-"

"Don't call me by my first name anymore, either. You can only refer to me as Princess." I announced, feeling my heart break. "I need to go back to the palace now. They'll be concerned for my well being."

"What the hell are you even talking about?!" Ryan shouted, startling me, "Do you even realise what has happened to you? Do you? Do you even know where you are?"

At his words I looked around. The forest, though beautiful, looking nothing like the forest surrounding my home. When I took a deep breath, trying to find distant smells of pack members or the palace I was greeted with nothing but my own scent and Ryan's. I just stared at Ryan in horror.

"What have you done?" I demanded.

"What have I done? I broke out of my fucking cell underground when I heard that you had been kidnapped and I've run for nearly two hours just to find you when all of your beloved guards were going in the wrong direction and you greet me by calling me Ares and telling me you don't want to be with me! What the hell is going on Addy? How the hell did you get out here?"

I looked up at Ryan, searching for lies in his eyes, but I found nothing but concern and worry.

"I don't know." I admitted.

"How about I tell you." Someone suggested.

Ryan and I both spun around to see Preston nearing slowly, a cocky grin on his lips.

***Thank you to everyone who has read up to this point. I'm sorry to end it so suddenly but I have to keep you guessing and wanting more as I am getting this book published! Yay! I will update my profile on the status of this book and when it will be available for purchase as I know more.***