Returned

A knock on the door startled me so badly that I leapt away from the book as if it had scalded me. then, almost without thinking, I grabbed the blankets and yanked them over top of the journal. I didn't know why I felt like I had to hide it. It had been given to me, by my parents. However, I left it there as I moved towards the door and slowly opened it.

"Good evening princess." Preston murmured softly into the darkened hallway.

I repressed a shudder. An image of this man pointing a loaded gun at my mate flashed through my mind. I nearly gagged when I thought of what my reality could've been if that gun had been fired.

"What can I do for you?" I asked stiffly.

"My mother sent me to see if you had anything you would like me to assist you with." He answered. "You haven't had time to attend to your royal duties, either. Perhaps you would like some assistance considering the time."

"Tell my parents I won't be completing any of my duties tonight. It's too late and I'm not entirely rational at this hour." I denied.

"Very well Princess Adeline." Preston said, bowing deeply.

Once I closed my bedroom door and I heard Preston's footsteps fade away I walked back to the book. I felt like a naughty child in all actuality. I knew that one of my parents had given me this book, however, it didn't feel right to have it. So I ended up holding my breath as I pulled back the blankets. The cover stared back at me, daunting and tempting all at once. I decided to get it over with. I had to read it now or I would put it off forever.

Besides, I knew Ryan better than anyone other royal ever had. So I knew nothing in this book about him could be truly awful.

I flipped the book open to a random page and just as I was about to turn to the table of contents I stopped. I was a little startled that the pages were hand written and worn. Extra notes were made on the sides of the margins in various pen colours. I even noticed scribbles on the bottom of the page. And as my eyes swept over all the little details I slowly sat down, reading about this obscure pack I had never even heard of. And I read all the little notes, marvelling that they could've been my father's my grandfather's or someone else's. It was spectacular and so detailed. I got lost in it before I even realized what was happening.

The next morning I woke up with a jerk. I blinked rapidly as I sat up, my bedroom light burning my eyes at the early hour. I quickly rubbed my hands over my face, trying to wipe away my exhaustion and figure out what was going on. It took me a moment but I did eventually remember the journal. I must've fallen asleep after I started reading it. I patted the covers until I found it, determined to finally read about Ryan when a knock sounded at my door.

Cursing under my breath, I kicked off my sheets and got to my feet. I did attempt to rush over to the door, but it was flung open before I could even reach to open it.

"Princess, there is a man here to see you." My stylist announced. She looked stricken, like a tornado had touched down and her expression only became more severe when she glanced me over, "Where on Earth did you get those clothes?" she demanded.

"I bought them." I snapped back. "Who is this man?"

"You must change at once, no suitor can see you like this." She protested.

I gritted my teeth as she ignored my question. I didn't want to be rude to my staff, I knew they always had my best interest at heart. Still, when she grabbed my arm and tried to pull me towards my vanity I yanked myself away.

"Any man who doesn't have the decency to give me notice doesn't have the right to see me in any of my gowns or crowns. If he wants to show up unannounced then this is what he gets."

"But Princess!" my stylist shouted.

I wasn't listening to her. I was already halfway out the door. I strode down the hallways purposefully, ignoring all the sideways looks I got. I assumed by now people would've gotten used to my work out attire, but perhaps pairing it with bed head and clear skin was too much. I sighed and shook my head at them, but continued on, my mission not forgotten.

I was so driven to find this mystery man who demanded my attention that I nearly slammed into him.

"Princess." He said, bowing his head respectfully.

I froze, my mouth flopping open, "Lucas, what are you doing here?" I asked.

He seemed just as stunned as I was. I didn't miss the way his sparkling green eyes moved over my body, assessing me. But I did feel slightly insecure under his watchful eyes. The last time he had seen me I had been completely made over. My hair had been curled and pinned, my makeup had been perfect and I had worn a gown that costs a hundred times what my outfit now cost. I definitely didn't feel like I lived up to his expectations.

"Did my parents send you?" I suddenly snapped. My mind whirled with the possibility that my parents had set this up. They hunted me down after I had run away, they brought out the book, and now they were trying to get the man I had favoured the most at the ball to sway me away from my mate.

"No, actually." He said softly. His cheeks turned red and he ducked his head lower, looking so bashful it softened me a bit.

"I don't believe you." I pushed.

"Your parents don't even know I'm here. I really shouldn't even be here. It's a miracle the guards even let me in."

I stared at this sweet Canadian alpha, not understanding what was happening. Was he really trying to tell me that he had essentially snuck into my palace to see me?

"Then why are you here if my parents didn't recruit you?"

There was a heavy pause.

"I couldn't stop thinking about you."