Lost Love

"Horse riding seems like a terribly royal thing to do." Lucas laughed as he mounted one of my older show horses. "It just seems so tremendously regal and yet it's smelly and it can be very dangerous."

I laughed a little, "When you put it that way you make me feel like a fool for enjoying it." I leaned forward and patted Poison's strong neck, "But the horse you're on certainly isn't dangerous. He's one of the first horses I owned, tremendously gentle and so very sweet. I'm fairly certain that he hasn't even stepped on my toes."

"And the horse you're on?"

"He's a bit more of a handful." I admitted, "But we're working on it and he's turning out swell, just really fabulous."

"Why didn't you buy a well trained horse?"

I clucked to Poison and we began to move at a slow walk down a gravel trail.

"You clearly don't understand how boring it can be to be a princess. Poison was a challenge. I loved that and I got to see our progress every day. It was a really amazing thing."

"So you trained him from a pony?"

I giggled softly under my breath, "No, I didn't train him from a colt."

We let our horses walk through the forest quietly. Lucas mostly listened while I spoke, only offering a handful of words here and there and I talked about nothing in particular. It felt nice to be able to focus on something other than the situation with my mate for once and I was quite impressed with the way he gradually calmed down in the saddle. Plus, Lucas was good company, he was gentle and sweet. It took my mind off the harsh realities of my world for a second. I was just a girl riding my horse with some guy who actually seemed interested in what I had to say. Everything felt very normal until Lucas quietly brought up my mate.

"So what's he like?"

"Hmmm?"

"Your mate, what is he like?" Lucas asked again.

"Why do you ask?" I said, suddenly feeling defensive.

"I'm just curious. I can't imagine anyone being as awful as the media portrays him to be. I just wanted your take on it, however, if you aren't comfortable sharing I completely understand as well. This all must be very hard for you and I don't want to push any limits or boundaries."

I sighed, running my hand over Poison's smooth neck. I wanted to keep my relationship with Ryan secret, away from everyone's scrutiny. But it looked like it was too late for that. And I was beginning to realize that being silent for so long was eating at me. I had so much to say, so many things to discuss and no one to talk to. I hadn't known Lucas that long, but I was certainly starting to trust him so maybe a few shared words wouldn't be so terrible.

"He's great. Honestly, had I not the rogue on his warriors I would've never known. He's not what I expected at all and I really doubt that the media shows Ryan for who he really is." I answered. Though I had left out all the details of our relationships and all the thoughts about what I was supposed to do about my mate it still felt nice to talk about it and that feeling was furthered when I looked over at Lucas who didn't appear to be at all disgruntled. In fact he was smiling at me as if I had told him something wonderful.

"Mates are like that. They turn us all into kittens." He agreed, "Though I've never heard him called Ryan before, that's certainly not what he called himself when we were introduced."

"You've met him?"

Lucas cringed as if he had said too much and his horse's ears flicked back, sensing his unease.

"Maybe we shouldn't talk about that, Princess. It wasn't exactly good terms." He explained.

"You're right, I was finally in a good mood for once, but I suppose that has past. Can I ask you something else then? Something more personal?"

"Certainly."

"What did you mean when you said you hadn't been able to stop thinking about me?" I ventured boldly.

Lucas chuckled to himself, shaking his head slightly, and as much as I hated to admit it, he was still as handsome as the first time I saw him. That gentle smile and those kind green eyes were terribly refreshing for me.

"I don't truly know how I can make it any clearer for you, I literally hadn't stopped thinking about you since I left the gala." He explained, "I was anxious at first, hoping you would at least give me a second chance. I had a hunch I wasn't your first pick- how could I have been with all those other alphas killing themselves to make you smile? But I was still desperately hoping I would be able to see you again. Then, when the king and queen announced that you had been kidnapped I was worried. More worried than I would deem normal. And once you were returned to the castle I arranged a flight and accommodation's, I just needed to see you as soon as possible. And now, well, we're here."

I stared at him, my mouth hanging open slightly. That had to have been one of the kindest things anyone had ever said to me. It completely melted my heart. He had been so genuine and now he was just staring down at the reins in his hands with bright red cheeks.

"You were my first choice." I announced.

"What? How?"

"Well, all the other alphas had quirks I didn't like. Hell, some of them weren't quirks, they were just flaws too big to overlook. Some men rejected their mates because they hadn't been good enough or strong enough which I deemed shallow. My mother loved my father when he was nothing but an omega and he has made himself a great king. And some of the alphas were far too arrogant. It takes much more than big muscles to impress me. Another alpha was rude, and some only behaved the way I wanted them too, as if they could fool me into falling in love with an alternate version of them." I ranted.

"So it was by default."

"Oh god no, there were some men who weren't assholes. I just preferred you over them."

Lucas laughed, still unable to meet my eyes, "It's honestly so nice to hear you say that. You have no idea."

"I just have one question for you." I whispered.

"What is it?"

"Why aren't you with a mate instead?"

"Adeline, we shouldn't talk about that?"

"You rejected her, didn't you?"

"No."

"Then what could be so terrible that you can't tell me?" I demanded.

"It was Ar-..." he took a deep breath, "It was Ryan."