Ransack

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything." Lucas whispered.

I was numb as I walked into my palace. I felt like I wasn't moving at all, like my legs were stepping on their own accord. I wish I could say that my mind was racing. But it wasn't. it was at a dead stop. I hadn't even been able to say a word since Lucas had told me that my mate- Ryan- had been responsible to for the death of his mate and several men in his pack. That had been half an hour ago. Since then I had rode back to the barn with him, untacked both of our horses, and walked back to the palace.

"Princess Adeline, I'm really so sorry."

"I think I'm going to retire for the day. Please ask the king or queen to arrange a guest room for you." I said automatically.

"Are you okay?"

"I need to be alone now."

With that, I walked to my bedroom, not caring about my guest. I didn't care about anything actually, I couldn't think enough for that. So I walked through my gorgeous palace with muddy sneakers on and absently pulled loose hairs off my clothes until I got to my bedroom. there, in my clothes that smelt of horse, I flopped onto my bed and dug around for that journal.

Once my fingers touched its rough cover I shuddered. I had been putting this off, finding other things to do. And now it was too late. Instead of finding out the truth for myself someone else had to tell me. I had to find out the truth about my mate through a heart broken man who would never see his mate again. Maybe my parents were right. Maybe the whole werewolf community was right. Maybe I was actually mated to a monster.

I opened the book to the table of contents then flipped to the section on my mate's pack. My eyes instantly darted over my father's messy writing.

June 17

Some ridiculous rogue had the audacity to claim that he was wrongfully called a rogue. He claimed that he is but a normal wolf and should be treated as such. When I denied his request to allow him to absorb into the royal pack he became furious and threatened to go start a pack of his own, saying that he could be an alpha himself. I thought his threats were laughable; no rogue could control other rogues. It simply goes against their nature. But, by some ungodly means, he has done it. He has created a very small pack of wolves who follow his orders.

July 12

The young rouge, Ares, demands land. I can hardly give him such a thing. No pack wants to have them reside near and the only available packlands I have are the two vacant spots surrounding our area. I could not have such atrocious beasts roaming freely so close to my guests and my family. I have refused his request, but Ares threatens war and I worry that he is serious and strong than we are prepared to deal with.

July 13

Ares has won. Last night he trespassed onto royal grounds and his men torched our guest house, our garden sheds, and tried to start a forest fire near the palace. I fear if I deny him any longer he will start making the attacks more personal and much more dangerous. No one was hurt this time, but we cannot be certain that his violence will remain contained. It appears I have no choice but to give him what he wants. Perhaps if his pack lands are near the royals he will behave himself. At least I hope this will be the outcome.

I remembered that night. I remembered smelling smoke and my parents waking me up in the middle of the night. I knew the flames hadn't come too close to the house so I believed my mother when she told me that it was simply a forest fire that had gotten out of hand. And I hadn't questioned her when she snuck me out a back passage and drove us away to a hotel for a few nights.

July 20

Ares stormed into the palace today, demanding funding for his pack. He claims that they are now a normal pack and should be treated as such. I told him he must have a functional pack for a full calendar year before he is to receive funding as that is the law. He simply told me that he will find funding elsewhere if I do not provide it sooner.

July 21

Ares asked for funding again. I denied him again and tried to explain to him that he must wait. He left the palace in a furious state.

July 25

Great Mountain Pack was attacked last night. Seven casualties were reported, including the luna. Over ten thousand dollars' worth of goods and currency were stolen as well. Six homes were burnt to the ground. The pack is now in a state of emergency. Witnesses claim that it was the new rogue pack, led by Ares, but no DNA can be found to link him or his fellow pack mates to the crimes.

I swallowed hard, unable to believe what I was reading. I tried to comfort myself by thinking that my mate's name was Ryan. Then I remembered what Lucas had said and I remembered the way he began to say Ares instead of Ryan. I shut my eyes tightly for a moment before my shaking hands turned back to the table of contents. I found the section on the Great Mountain Pack and flipped to it, hoping it would deny the claims I had just read. When I found the correct date I began reading again.

July 25

Great Mountain Pack was attacked last night. around two in the morning witnesses report hearing noises, like men talking softly. They claim that at three in the morning the attack actually began. Six or seven foreign men assaulted as men of this pack as they could, but unfortunately, they were not able to stop these men from killing six warriors and their luna. Six houses were completely destroyed, ten others received extensive damages. Various members from the pack report stolen goods including jewellery, technology, and currency. The pack has declared a state of emergency and will receive extensive funding, extra protection, and the opportunity to relocate if desired.

I jammed my eyes shut for a brief second before scanning over more of the page, but the more words I read the more my heart sunk.

Alpha: Alpha Lucas

Luna: Luna Celeste (deceased)

Location: Banff, Alberta, Canada.

This was it. This was proof that my sweet mate had had a part in killing someone. My mate had threatened my father and acted out in anger when he hadn't gotten what he had wanted.

My mate was not the man I thought he was. And, at that realization, I began to cry.