Chapter 15

Tracy drove Alfie and I to the rollar skating rink about 10 minutes away. As we entered to buy our skates, a group of girls came in, I recognized them from my school. They were huddling by the food area laughing.

"You know them?" asked Tracy

"I've seen them at school."

"Go say hi."

"Uh no."

"Come on, this is your chance to make friends."

I took a deep breathe and moved over towards the girls, they were taking forever ordering food, so I decided to make them take even longer by starting a conversation... this never goes well.

"Uh hey." I said, a couple of them turned around and turned back

"I go to school with you guys right?"

"Uhm I don't know." Said one

"Yeah my first day was today. I'm new."

"Cool." They continued to ignore me, I look a Tracy and mouthed "what now?" She motioned me to continue talking.

"Maybe I could skate with you?" I asked

"We were actually about to leave." They grabbed their food and moved towards the side with tables.

I got out of line and went back towards Tracy and Alfie

"No good huh?" she asked

"I guess I'll never make friends."

"Hey don't say that."

We skated for about 2 hours and then went home. I guess it's not the worst thing to have no friends, at least I have the people I know currently. Even if that has to be Julie, my dad, Alfie, and Tracy. I know they'll always be there for me so what else matters?

The next few days at school were awful I'm not gonna lie, a ton of homework, still no friends and I had a crazy idea and a new heart. I woke up Saturday morning to a lovely breakfast Tracy had made. Dad was almost done with his plate. I sat next to him and smiled.

"What's up kiddo?"

"I want to work." He nearly choked on his toast.

"Work?" asked Tracy

"Yes like a job."

"Yea I know but why?"

"Well I have nothing to do. I don't exactly have friends to hang out with."

"You have Tracy and Alfie."

"Yes but they have their own lives. Alfie even made 2 friends! I'm still at zero."

"Alright well have you thought of where?"

"There's hundreds of stores around us. Anywhere! I just want a job."

"Okay well why don't you go and ask around this afternoon. Tracy will take you."

"Actually I think I can do it on my own."

"By yourself? Why?"

"I wanna be independent sometimes. Hey, new home, new school, new me." I smiled and grabbed some food

"I don't know what I think about this new Sam."

"You'll love her." I giggled

After breakfast I went to my room and changed into a jumper and converse. I put my hair in a tight ponytail and grabbed my bag. Dad had to be at work today for some reason, they call him in at random times. Maybe it's because he's new.

"Alrighty I'm off." I said, Tracy and Alfie were watching tv on the couch.

"Good luck dear."

I went downstairs and looked at the open city. It was loud and annoying, it smelled like someone or something had died and then reincarnated and died again. Yet I found an amusing interest in it. The land of opportunity, the city where dreams can come true..... I didn't quite have any dreams. I'm only 16 and just trying to find a job.... oh well. There were a few delis down the street, which I didn't get. It's not like one deli will run out of your favorite ham that you'll have to go next door to get some and then you find out they ran out of your favorite bread which now you're stuck because one deli has something the other doesn't. It was a mess.

As I walked there was a few nail salons but I could not see myself painting anybody's nails or doing acrylic. That's too much time sitting on your ass. Although they did make a lot of money I don't want to breathe in all those chemicals. I could work in a clothing store but as I noticed, there was almost no one in any of the stores. They weren't big brands either. Like Urban Outfitters or American Eagle. Just stuff like Sara's grand old designs. It was weird. Land of opportunity, I laughed.

"Hey kid shut it for a minute and stop walking in a circle." I stared at the ground, it was a hobo leaning against a metal fence.

"I didn't go in a circle."

"Alright so atleast one of the things I said was true. Shut up."

"Oh and where are my manners? Do you need some cash?"

"Sweetie does it look like I want money from you?"

I stared at him.

"Okay yes that would be great but how about a sandwich instead?"

"Of course. Which deli?"

"Does it look like I'm a picky eater?"

"Right sorry."

I ran towards the closest deli and picked out a sandwich for the hobo. Before I payed I got papers to work there as well. As I was walking away and I bumped into a stranger.... and as this story has gone so far, you know who this stranger is.

"Murr!" I said

"Hey. Fancy bumping into you... again!"

"It's destiny I guess." I laughed

"I was just grabbing a snack before going to shoot."

"Oh my god. Where? Wait... I probably can't know that."

"Actually if you wait until after we are done I can have the guys say hello to you."

"Really? I'd love that."

"Yeah let me just buy my snack and we can head back there."

"Okay Uhm I'll be right back actually."

I ran to where the hobo was to give him the sandwich.

"Okay so I didn't know what you liked but I got one with cheese, ham, lettuce, tomato and a whole lot of other stuff."

I looked at him, his eyes were closed and he must've fallen asleep. I hit the bottom of his shoes with my foot.

"Hey. I brought food." I said, once again nudging him. He fell over. Flies were starting to sit on him. He was dead.