Chapter 17

The next day I went bright and early to find jobs again. This time no distractions. I stumbled through every store I could, I even ended up walking several blocks just to see if I can find something new and interesting. There was a toy shop and a Starbucks after walking a couple of blocks, which peeked my interest but I decided that it's better to stick close to home so maybe the deli will accept me. I went back home to find Alfie playing video games in his pajamas.

"Wanna walk around Times Square with me?" I asked

"Isn't that like far?"

"By foot yes, but not by taxi."

"Uhm Sam? Are you going to ask permission?" asked Tracy coming out of her room

"Yes I was, as soon as Alfie agreed to go."

"Fine I'll go." he stumbled into his room to get dressed

"I'm still not being asked..." Tracy folded her arms

"Tracy? Can Alfie and I take a taxi to Times Square?" I smiled

"No."

"What? Why?"

"I'm kidding. Yes you can go, but be careful and do not take photos with anyone dressed in an Elmo suit. They steal wallets."

"Why would anyone wear a suit to steal?"

"Because it's the city and it's actually not a bad idea."

"Tracy!"

"Come on! How else would you pit pocket someone?"

"I wouldn't."

"But if you had to."

"Then I suppose a giant Elmo costume is the way."

"Also stay away from Big bird and anybody wearing minimal clothing."

"What!? What is this place?"

"The big Apple." She laughed

Alfie came out.

"What's with the horrified look?" He asked

"Big bird, naked people, and pit pocketing." I said

"What?" He looked at us with confusion

"Have fun!!!" Tracy pushed us out the door

The city wasn't exactly the cleanest place or the most peaceful one, but it was interesting. Everyday there were new people, not only tourists. Because the city was huge, there were many places to go and a lot of people liked to visit all of them.

"So found a job yet?" Alfie said while his hand glided on a nearby fence

"Don't touch that, it's dirty, and I was going to stop by the closest deli to ask."

"Oh good maybe I can get a drink."

We went in. I saw a man about mid 60's working the register. He had a grey beard which matched his balding grey hair, and was reading a newspaper. Alfie ran in behind me, looking at all the options of drinks, there weren't many.

"Uhm excuse me, I was wondering if I could get a job here?" I said sweetly, he looked up from the newspaper

"You could.."

"Oh great!" I smiled

"If you kill someone for me."

"K...kill!?" I moved back from the counter, the guy bursted out laughing

"No I'm kidding, we are actually looking for help so there's no need for an application. When do you wanna start?"

"Uh... any time after school, so 4 on weekdays."