Chapter 20

He pulls away.

"I am so confused." I say

"I just kinda had a love at first sight type of thing and I wanted to hang out with you to get to know you but I couldn't do that so I said hey and went for it." He smiled

I glanced at his innocent face and at the sweet nicely set picnic. I was so happy he had done this but for some reason I couldn't say I had the same feelings. And he's right he couldn't get to know me so he still doesn't know me. If he did he'd know that.... no matter me being 16... I still liked a 28 year old man...and that was James Murray.

"Sam, you're quiet."

"Ryan this is sweet and I appreciate this but... I can't."

"You can't go out with me?"

"No... I'm sorry."

"Why? It's because we barely know each other right? Ugh"

"Yea... honestly you're still mysterious to me."

"Like my..uncle huh?"

"Yea you said you'd tell me about that."

"I... I'm going to clean this up, I'll take you home."

"Ryan I'm truly sorry."

"No, I'm sorry."

When Ryan took me home, it was the most silent walk I've ever had. I wasn't into him, not one bit and I felt bad because my heart wasn't in it. Why! oh why! did I have to like his uncle? I went into my room and locked the door. God I just can't deal with change especially so much at once. I looked at the time, it was 11pm. Ugh I can't do this work stuff and school stuff, especially at the same time. I looked at my bank app. There was a few thousand in it. I quickly texted Tracy. Oh please be up.

Go to bed she answered

No please can you come in my
Room for a sec I need advice

Fine. Coming.

I unlocked the door and waited for her. She entered shortly.

"Okay so I was ready to go to bed and looks like you aren't. Why did you get home so late and what do you want?"

"That's a conversation for another day. Should I quit?"

"Quit? What, your job?"

"Yea..." I said nervously

"Sam why? You wanted it"

"It's just I have no time for anything, especially since I went into it so quick. I don't have time for any of my emotions to set in about all these changes. Plus I got lots saved and nothing to spend it on"

"Listen here's my advice. Yes you may quit. But don't spend all that cash. Plus worry about school for now not anything else. Don't want you head over heels for James now that he lives across from us."

"No it's not even about Murr. I just can't come home late each time and even making a damn friend is impossible. I gotta live"

"You're right plus drivers license soon. We have to practice."

"Yea I've signed up at school already. Make sure dad pays the $500 for the class"

"Will do. I'm tired so Goodnight kiddo"

"Thanks Tracy"

I fell asleep in my clothes. The next day I brewed myself a large cup of coffee before school.

"You tired? Damn that's a lot of coffee" my dad said walking out of his room

"Yea long night"

"When did you come in?"

"Just late. Trying to juggle lots of stuff right now"

"I hear ya. Don't drain yourself"

"It's ok I'm quitting today"

"Why? I thought you wanted a job"

"It's too much right now. I'll just save what I got. I'm sorry to disappoint you"

"Honey you could never disappoint me. Just please don't date James. He's old enough to be your uncle"

"Dad. Let's not."

"Ight come walk me to the front desk" he said

I walked my dad to the front and kissed him goodbye before he left. I sat down and started to drink my coffee. My phone dinged and I noticed Julie posted. Oh god what now. It was a photo of her with the caption "finally free." That is it. Final straw Julie. I slide up and wrote "feel that."

I slammed my phone down on the chair next to me. I just laid my head in my hands and sighed. What's up with her? Don't blame me for moving. Guess she never liked me. I opened my phone again and saw she posted another picture. It was Chris and her kissing. Guess she finally got him. Good, hope she's happy. I ran back upstairs and threw my phone in my room and closed the door. I decided I wasn't going to bring it to school with me.
After school I dropped Alfie at home and went to work.

"Hey" I said to my boss

"Dude almost got robbed today" he said

"Excuse me what." I asked stunned

"Yea swear this dude had a knife on him"

"What did you do?"

"I just kicked him out and locked the door. There's a chance he's coming back with friends"

"Okay so this should make this easy. Uhm I think I'm quitting"

"You think?"

"Well... Yea"

"Girl listen. You either are or aren't and if you are tell me straight up. You need to be strong in your decisions"

"Then yes I am"

"Good for you. I'd hate to work here if I didn't have to. Don't be stupid and do what I did."

"I feel bad now"

"Don't. It's your life, you're young. But please make sure the cameras work before you leave because I might not tonight"

"Yea uhm maybe you should call the police too"

I went to the back and turned the cams on and started the recordings. Hopefully he's safe tonight and no one comes back.

"Nah I can take them. Been through lots of shit"

I worked my shift and went back home, ate dinner and then showered. I did my homework super late and totally forgot about my phone. I couldn't even find it at first but it was underneath the bed.

No texts from Julie, she even deleted the pictures she posted. Guess I got her good or maybe her and Chris broke up already. Which seems about right.
I texted the group chat between Ryan, Cody and Erin. I told them I quit and am down to hang out soon.

Cool I'm down. Erin said

Yas girl thank god you quit that gross job. Cody said

Right. I said

I was waiting for a response from Ryan. I felt so bad. Still nothing. Well great just lost a friend.