Chapter 4

Chapter 4

As the atmosphere stayed cold and awkward, Layla kept on shifting in her seat uncomfortably looking back and forth between Todd and the empty seat next to him.

"So Layla's how school?" Jayden asked which made Layla instantly shoot her head up in Jayden's direction.

"Urm...I actually don't go college, since I volunteer in the animal shelter, no need for school" Layla whispered, coughing trying her best to be slightly louder.

Layla smiled at the thought of all the animals that they had rescued. Just one of the kittens brought her life with joy. Maia, the kitty, who was savagely beaten by her owners. Her name related to her characteristic, brave warrior. Layla recalls the exact time and date she found Maia laying there, fighting for her life. At that moment Layla initial reaction was to hold the kitty in her arms and sedate her, so her pain became numb and bearable. She remembered the tears that flowed from her eyes, every time she heard Maia cries. Just the images of her black and white fur covered in blood. The horror. The only thing Layla could do was pray and wait.

Even though Layla never knew this kitty for long, it seemed to touch her heart. But the joy to her life was when she heard the news that Maia was living and breathing, but in critical condition. Layla would stay by Maia's side, appreciating every breath and every movement her body would make, even if it was a twitch, it made Layla smile

But the horror came when Maia couldn't fight any longer. The suffering and pain that poor Maia felt was so unbearable that the little kitty finally gave up. Layla remembers the time that when Maia had opened her eyes, her gaze set on Layla. Layla was so overjoyed that it made a kitty in pain smile and move her tiny little paws towards Layla. Layla remembers when Maia had died in her arms.

Layla may have found it sad but she was relived. That finally this kitties suffering had finally ended. And the horrors in her mind will be swept away.

"Don't you get paid?" Jayden asked with interest.

Jayden believed that if you worked or did any physical job, you must get paid. You need a way to live and money happens to be the way.

He remembers his grandfather teachings clearly, when money is offered to you in hand don't take it work for it. It will show pity on your behalf that's what his grandfather always said. His grandfather never likes to be looked at with pity. That the reason his grandfather worked his way to the top. His grandfather was never the alpha; he worked to get to the top.

So here is Jayden carrying on in his grandfather's footsteps. To be fearless; but yet a loved member of society. His grandfather told him that if you want to maintain your status you must respect the choices that other make. Respect their duty whether you agree with them or not. Just hold onto respect.

But when he looked up to Layla he asked himself, would his grandfather be proud of him? Proud of my choice of rejecting his mate for his status? Jayden was still not sure what his grandfather would have done.

He merely wants to ask his grandfather, but his grandfather resides all the way in England maintaining another pack. He hadn't seen his grandfather for 8 years now.

He missed his grandfather allot. Only if he could have that relationship with his grandfather he once had. Jayden wanted to slap his wolf and himself for making his grandfather run far away from him. He warned his wolf never to pull that stunt he had done with his granddad. Even though he scowled his wolf, his wolf shrugged off all the emotions not wanting to get caught up with Jayden's human side.

Then Jayden couldn't but help but listen to her angelic voice, her pale skin which always seemed so soft and delicate. The shine and the innocence that brought light to her face. Her midnight eyes shone with such intensity that he loved so much.