Chapter 16

Chapter 16

The pack house filled with laughter and joy.

Jayden stood in the middle of the mass of people his presence exuding the trait of a true alpha.

He stood tall and proud amongst his pack. His witty humour and outstanding mannerisms had the older lady's blush and hang on to every word he said. The younger members drooled all over their alpha as he spoke in his velvety voice.

Layla smiled as she watched him interact with his pack. As a leader he was truly remarkable. He was admirable and a great role model to the young cubs. She was proud of his achievements as a leader.

No one could default him as a leader.

Layla stood in infatuation but soon she shook away the feeling. That smile wasn't for her and she knew that regardless of their situation Layla could never be his.

Her heartwarming smile however had her circled. The more older generation of wolves created a mass wall around her. Like they were all caving in on her as protective shield. It was no shock, but everyone in the pack adored her and felt the need to protect her.

Her innocence was dangerous.

They all knew she was still naive about the real world and they wanted to shield her away from the disappointment of reality.

She held back a giggle as Timothy, the great uncle of Jayden innocently flirted with her.

His strong frame relaxed and became less intimadting as he looked down at Layla. She was too precious he thought.

After her father had passed, she became very delicate when the subject arose about her father.

Everyone could see the great pain she was feeling as his memory lived on as many of the pack members spoke of him. It was the packs duty to take care of not just the mate but the family.

"Only if I was much younger, Layla" he teased. However that didnt stop her from blushing.

"Thankyou" she mumbled.

"I remember when you were little." He wrapped an arm around her tiny frame. He frowned at what he felt. She was not only petite but emaciated; that what it seemed like. Layla slowly and carefully pulled slightly away catching her breath. Her eyes became wide as she saw the sadness in his eyes. But he carried on with his story with a smile."You'd always follow butterfly's. No one ever knew why. Nor did your father" the men laughed and smiled at Layla who was now looking at the floor, blushing slightly. "Your father found it refreshing. He'd rather you chasing butterfly's than boys".

The senior elders laughed while Layla giggled, that would be something her father would say.

But a sad smile appeared on her face;she looked away from the men forcing back a tear.

Max soon entered the circle that was around Layla. He caught onto her sad smile giving her a reassuring smile. His great uncle Timothy smiled sadly at Max who returned it with a slight nod of his head.

He knew something had changed about her; even Timothy had seen it. But both men couldn't figure out what it was. Her appearance looked tired and drain but they didn't know why. Layla was a very secretive person and they knew she wouldn't open up to them. Her health mattered to them; they wished she would open up.

"How are you feeling Layla?" Max like a true gentleman asked, slightly grinning at her expense.

"Well look at you two." another senior member smirked.

"Well we do look great" Max teased.

"Kiddo get to the back of the line" Timothy squared up his shoulder challenging the younger male.