Chapter 4

"Yes?" I snapped.

"How come you don't have to share a room? And how come you get to decorate your room?"

I smiled. I was kinda hoping someone would ask that. "Ah, Hoying. I have had this room for almost four years. I think I'd have special privileges. Don't you?" I turned away and carried on unpacking. He didn't leave. "Don't you think you should unpack?" I glanced at my watch, "You only have ten minutes." He sniffed and walked off. I heard him muttering to someone. Probably Mitch.

I reached into my bag. I pulled out a small picture frame. In the frame was a summer scene of three children playing in the sand whilst a woman watched them, laughing. I smiled. It was still one of my favourite memories of all time. Not only do we look amazing but I know we felt amazing that day. It was Jenna's tenth birthday so Mitch and I were only about four. To think that I wouldn't get to do that much again. I haven't been to the sea for years. Since I came here, in fact. I put the frame in the top draw with everything else I loved. There was that picture, a small necklace that was my adopted mum's, a small piece of cloth from when I was a baby and a letter. The letter was from when I was small. Mitch had been having troubles at school and I had written a letter to him asking what was wrong because he would never tell me. He had written back explaining everything. I couldn't leave it or get rid of it. I smiled as my alarm went, signalling that we needed to head back.

The rest of the day was boring. I could almost have not been there, I did that little. That was until it got to free time. Usually, I would sit in my room, on my phone but this year I was in charge of one of the worst groups yet.
We hadn't even been in there for ten minutes when I heard the first raised voices. Thankfully, it wasn't an argument but something more like a party starting. I stood outside, in the corridor, and listened. By the sounds of things, two or more rooms had packed into one and were having a little too much fun. Room 3. I went up and knocked on the door. There was no reply. I knocked again but louder. "Shit. Lunkorc's here." I opened the door. The room was in absolute chaos; there were bottles, clothes and food everywhere; people jumping around on beds; it was a proper, drunk style party. I shut the door behind me, aware that not everybody was here. I walked over to the stereo and unplugged it, meaning the room was filled with a chorus of moans.

"Party's over. Everyone to their own rooms. Lights out in ten minutes." I stood, watching, as they all filed out and back into their own rooms. I went back into my room. Nothing was going to stop me from sleeping.

My radio buzzed. "Lunkorc. Training starts tomorrow night, midnight." The training master's voice sounded rough and broken, even through the already bad, radio static. That meant I had no training tonight. And for most, it would mean a late night having fun but I knew better. I would sleep at the same time as the cadets and then be up early enough to get a couple of hours of training beforehand.

My alarm was set for four o'clock. As the time hit the hour, the loud beeping of the alarm startled me from my dreams. I groaned and stopped the incessant noise. My outfit had been laid out on the desk so that it was quick and easy to get ready. I pulled on my gear and snuck from my dorm. As I left I remembered to set an alarm for half past five. That was one of the reasons I was the dorm master you wanted. I never let you over sleep so that you didn't get told off. But that was only because I had a reputation to uphold. I smiled thinking of this as I walked through the corridors. Not many people would be up at this time. Only the select few who had to set up for training or being punished. But we hadn't been there long enough for these to be in place so it seemed that it was just me.

*TIME SKIP*

I walked into the training session at seven. I had been out on the fields running and climbing for hours. The cadets all turned to stare at me, expecting the cadet master to rip my head off. Their anticipating faces quickly changed to surprised as the master smiled and said, "Good morning Lunkorc. Good training session?"

Mitch's POV

How didn't she get told off? She walked in an hour late but the Master just said good morning? If we did that we would, no doubt, have a huge punishment. I noticed that Scott was looking at me quizzically. I shrugged and quickly got back to work. We were currently scaling a two hundred meter wall. Kirstie had been split up after the Cadet Master said that the girls had to go to a different training ground. I looked down to the ground.

"Wait. How can you look down?" Scott was terrified of heights and now looked absolutely horrified at my actions. I shrugged again and went back to watching Soldier Lunkorc . For some reason, she looked familiar. I don't know why. Maybe it was the way she acted around other people. I kept climbing but every minute or so, I looked back down. Slowly she was making her way towards the wall, still talking to the Cadet Master. I looked up. Still one hundred to go. My right hand reached to the red grip just above it.

"Mind out will you?" I almost let go after hearing Lunkorc behind me. I turned to face her. She smiled and jumped around me, before scaling the last half of the wall. She reached the top in under half a minute. "Come on! In a few years you should be able to do this in seconds." She stood there smiling and I started. I focused and climbed higher and higher. I was there just seconds before Scott, but minutes ahead of everyone else. She nodded and quickly departed, sliding down the makeshift zip-wire. Scott clipped on and followed before I did the same. "Well done cadets. Not bad for a first go. Come with me. Once you finish that, you get breakfast." I laughed and then saw Kirstie running towards us.
"That was so cool! All we've done is run. You coming for breakfast?" I looked towards the solider next to me. She nodded and beckoned us to follow her. "Wait. When did Cassi turn up?"
"At about seven."
"What? She was an hour late?"
"Yeah. And she didn't get told off."
Cassi opened the doors to the canteen. It was already packed full. Except from one table.
"Cadets. We sit here. Get your food, sit down and stay here."
We all chorused in saying, "Ma'am!" Before running greedily for the food.

I carried my tray back towards our table. Cassi was surrounded by other, older soldiers.
"Still sat on the baby table Lunkorc?"
"Diddums can't even get past the first year."
"Does Cassi need her mummy?" They all laughed manically.
"Leave her alone!" I don't know why I shouted it. I just hated people who were mean to others.