Chapter 24

The cadet quarters was a mess. Everyone was running around, shouting at each other and trying desperately to sort everything out. The hall had been transformed into the family meeting place. There were bean bags, tables for snacks, tables for drinks, armchairs and sofas scattered everywhere. And most of the cadets, not having seen their families since the beginning of the school year, were more than excited. I, on the other hand, was a nervous wreck, but a functioning one. 

I was stood at the door of the dorms, waiting for everyone to be ready. Glancing at my watch, I decided that they had no more time to fuss around. "Cadets, we need to go down to the hall. Everyone is here." A loud chorus of shrieks pierced my ears as a wave of cadets rushed towards me. Leading them all downstairs, I heard constant talk of how excited everyone was and couldn't help but chuckle. "Let's set a good impression Cadets, please. Keep it like a normal school day until we get into the hall." They groaned but fell into a silent step. They were so much better than they had been, I was proud of them. There were some standout ones, Mitch and Scott being two of them. 

We reached the hall. I pushed open the door and all of families fell quickly quiet. The room was quiet for about two seconds before all of the cadets ran at people shouting. A laugh escaped my lips and out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a very happy trio meeting with their families. I slowly made my way to their general area. 

"Hey! Look it's Lunkorc!" Kirstie shouted. "Want to come over here?" I looked over, thoughts instantly rushing through my head. 

"Sure!" What was I doing? I know Jenna and I had talked about this already but I was not ready for this. Angelica looked me over before gasping. 

"No. Way." she breathed. "Cass Grassi? Is that you?" I nodded slowly. Kirstie stumbled backwards. "Lunkorc now, right?"

"Yeah, Mom. I can't believe I didn't recognise you." I shrugged her off. I changed myself quite a bit when I was taken, especially when the trio came here. I never expected to be recognised. "Are you going to tell Mitch?" 

"Yeah. Jenna and I have been meeting up a lot recently, so we thought today was good." I trailed off slightly, remembering what today was. Kirstie and Angelica looked each other, excitement dancing behind their eyes. I rolled my eyes and followed them over to where Mitch, Jenna, Nel, Mike, Scott, Rick and Connie were stood. Angelica seemed ready to burst at the seams.

"Angelica, are you alright?" Nel looked with a questioning look over to the single mother. I giggled slightly. 

"I recognise you from somewhere. Why do I recognise you?" I pulled off my cap and clipped it to the belt loops on my trousers. I placed my thumbs in my front pockets and bent one of my knees, a stance I stood in a lot when I was younger. A smirk came across my face as I challenged them to remember me. I looked at Jenna who was hiding fits of laughter. 

"So Cass. How're things?" She said, snorting slightly. 

"Good Jen. Very good. What about you?" I, too, found myself holding back giggles.

Suddenly, I felt something hard slamming into me and knocking me to the ground. Mitch and Scott, simultaneously jumped on me, pulling me into a three-way hug. Soon enough, Nel and Mike also joined us, as well as Connie and Rick, everyone crying with pure joy. 

"Cassi. Why didn't you tell me?" Mitch whispered.

I thought for a moment, "I wasn't meant to say anything. You know, with my Dad being who he is, I wasn't allowed to say. Jenna and I have been planning this for a little while." I smiled and hugged Mitch so that my face was buried in his neck. "This is so reminiscent. How often were we like this as kids?" He laughed and shrugged. It was a lot, I knew that for sure. 

After a few minutes of comfortable silence, we unanimously stood and moved towards a set of bean bags, grabbing snacks and drinks along the way. Mitch and I, being the typical set of twins, sat right next to each other, legs touching slightly and hands interlaced tightly as if we were scared to lose each other again.

Of course, I knew what was coming. It was always in my head. In the back. Nagging me. The note. 

The double doors swung open. I froze mid-sentence. No. Not now. Not now. My hold on Mitch's hand tightened until I was worried that I would break his hand. 

"What's wrong?" I shook my head, not trusting words to come out.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. My Dad stood behind me. "Time to go." A tear fell from my eye. 

"Cass?"

"I - I'm sorry. I've got to go. I've been called up. They've had to bring in younger soldiers. They need all the help they can get. I've known since a few months ago. I got a letter." I turned to Jenna, "That's when I messaged you saying you'd find out today. I knew that there was a chance..." I hiccupped and looked down at my feet. I slowly stood up. Everyone gathered around me and soon enough, I was enveloped in a giant hug. "Goodbye." I pushed my way through the group, dropping my hat and the picture of Jenna's 10th birthday. They needed something. I threw my phone back and a letter. 

**Five months later **

Mitch's POV

The phone rang. I laid back, there was no reason that I should get it whilst everyone else was downstairs. 

"Mitch! Get down here!" What? I quickly slid down the bannister. Maybe it was news from Cassi. 

It was. 

"I'm sorry to tell you this. Cassi has been officially confirmed Missing In Action. They doubt she's alive. My condolences."

"You two. She was your daughter as well. If  you need somewhere to get away from everything then there's a spare bed at ours."

I tuned everything out. Cassi...

was gone?

I'm writing this whilst ill. The next chapter will be the FINAL CHAPTER! I'm kinda happy that it's going to end on 25 chapters. Sorry it's a little shorter than I imagined it was going to be but I was getting slightly bored of writing it and I want to start a new fanfic instead. 

So, roll on the final chapter!

~Kyra