Chapter 19

The rest of the day went by in a blur. There was lots of food and dancing and random party things. People got extra gifts. There was even a big movie moment in a lecture hall. Everyone had a beanbag to sit on and plenty of popcorn to share. They then played The Grinch on a projector. Christmas was always the best time of the year here. We were more like a family than comrades. Everyone was talking to everyone else, no matter what age or ranking. The end of the day came closer and I migrated up to my room. I always watched a movie by myself whilst in my pajamas. Every year I got into the same, soft pajamas; I made myself a hot chocolate; grabbed some popcorn from the kitchens and found whatever was playing on the tv. I then got into bed and cuddled under my blankets. And this year, I was going to do the same thing. Nothing was going to change tradition.

There was a knock on my door. I groaned inaudibly. Apparently not. Apparently I was not going to be able to do Christmas like normal. "Yeah? What do you want?" I shouted, still in bed. I was not getting out of these covers for anything or anyone.

A black haired head popped around the door. "Hey. Um... Cassi. I'm really bored and the others are fast asleep. Can I come and hang in here?" Mitch asked. He looked very tired. I spent the evening of Christmas alone, I always did. No matter what. But, this was my brother. Surely I could... No. No. Christmas evening, after all the festivities, was my time to just relax. It always had been.

"Yeah. Sure. Put some PJ's on first. Oh and grab hot chocolate and popcorn. I've just about run out of it." Wait? What did I just say? I agreed with it? I laughed as I processed my requests. He nodded and left my room. I must be mental, I thought to myself.

He came back very quickly bringing back lots of sweets and drinks. I patted the bed next to me. I lifted up my blanket and he dived under. He snuggled up next to me, laying his head on my lap. I smiled at him before turning my attention back to movie. I was watching Aladdin. It was always on at this time of year and I loved it. It was probably one of my top five movies of all time.

The end credits played. My smile increased. I looked down to where Mitch was laying. A small smile was spread across his face as I noticed that he was fast asleep. My heart melted at the sight. I picked him up gently. I kicked open the door and carried the sleeping boy into his room. I was the same age as him but I was easily able to lift him. He was a lot thinner than I was but you couldn't tell when he was wearing his uniforms. It was almost unnatural. But then, he always had been smaller than the rest of us. I opened his door. Scott was in a very deep sleep. I laid him down and covered him up. I placed a small kiss on his forehead, just like our mum did when we were younger. He smiled in his sleep. I couldn't help but return the expression. Maybe he thought that I was mum but just didn't twig that it wasn't. He meant so much to me. He was still my brother, even if he didn't realize it. I crept from his bed.

"Cassi?" I must have woken Scott when I came in. His voice was still full of sleep.

"Mitch fell asleep in my room. I was just bringing him back to his own bed." Scott smiled.

"Thank you." He whispered, sitting up to check that I wasn't lying. Really? Why would I lie about that? I smiled. Scott laid back down, satisfied.

"Night. " I muttered as I closed the door. Just after the lock clicked, I heard the creak of a bed and footsteps. As far as I could tell, Scott had climbed out of his bed and into my brother's. They were fine. I wasn't going to say anything. Please, if someone wanted to comment then haters back off, anyone who doesn't ship Scomiche is wrong. I laughed at myself, sisters weren't meant to do that but honestly I don't care. I went back into my room. The flashing fairy lights made small shadows dance across my walls. The tiny tree on the corner of my desk had miniature baubles and a star balanced on top. I moved the books and papers from the wooden top and sat on it. I could see the lights from the adults Christmas party. Tomorrow they would all be stupidly hungover. 'Was Jay there?' I wondered. He had mentioned sneaking me in at one point but I had brushed it off without even thinking. I wasn't going to get anyone into trouble. I watched as the silhouettes of people dancing moved across the grass. They were all far too crazy. They had no thought of what they might look like right now. I could see individuals with glasses in the hands and occasionally saw them tip them back. But, despite being able to see the antics of the party, I wasn't able to hear it. Go having sound-proof walls everywhere so you can't hear any gun shots from the range. A small, white flake fell past my window. I spun around on the desk so I could look at something other than the multicoloured, disco lights. I was greeted with a flurry of white flakes that were having their own party around the trees and training equipment. We really were going to have a white Christmas.

Whoop whoop! I have finally updated! And actually kind of on season because it's almost Christmas! Sorry for taking so long but here we are.