Chapter 10

I slid my finger under the opening and pulled out the contents. Inside were my a badges and a letter. A letter that read:

Cassi. I am going to meet you in town. Change into your badges before you leave. Don't worry and I'll see you there.

Rolling my eyes, I took in a deep breath. "Everyone. We need to leave now. Slight change of plans, the General will meet us there instead." I saw the Captain physically sigh before confirming my statement. It wasn't my place to tell everyone what was what but it was a message from my father so he obviously wanted me to address the matter. If he hadn't have wanted me to say it, he wouldn't have sent it to me. He would have sent it to the Captain instead.

We left, I had changed into the correct badges and stripes. We had fifteen minutes to get into town and into our positions before the procession started. Luckily for us, the walk only lasted about ten minutes. But, oh my God did it feel a lot longer. Every other minute, it seemed, someone needed to stop for some reason or another. The huge buildings came into view and suddenly we weren't in the country any longer, but in the middle of the bustling city. As we got deeper into the forest of skyscrapers, everyone, slowly, fell quiet. We all had a reputation to uphold and that was kept by being silent unless spoken to. The city was huge, just like everything in it. There were huge numbers of huge cars, huge buildings and huge roads. And huge numbers of people. It never failed to impress even if you had been there a million times before. Some people called it the 'river' city; it was always changing, you couldn't step into its boundaries thinking it would be identical to the last time and be correct. At this time of year, there were millions of dancing lights strung up in between the shop roofs; the shop windows were full of tiny ornaments and the same, colourful, lights. Everyone was in a very festive mood. Even me, of all people. Me, who normally wasn't in a very good mood and hated celebrating anything, found myself smiling. The little square at which the procession was starting was even nicer than almost anywhere else. Stood, directly in the center of the marbled buildings was a giant, 10 meter tall, Christmas tree that had been decorated entirely in white lights and baubles. Each bauble had been created by one of the organizations in the city. There were ones for the Girl Guiding groups, the Scouting Groups, the schools, the churches, the community centers, shops and businesses, and then obviously ours. I looked in awe at the tree that loomed above me. But then I realised, I was yet to see the General. My eyes darted around the crowd that had gathered to see us departs but I still didn't see him. I looked around the other people that were taking part in the procession, but still didn't catch a glanc eof him. Where was he? He wasn't one to miss important events, especially one like this. Could something have happened to him?

"Worried?" I yelped as two hands slammed down on my shoulders. I laughed. It was a stupid question that he knew the answer to.

I replied, still laughing slightly. "Where were you, Dad?" So, I could stop thinking that something terrible had happened to him and it had all gone wrong. Unless, of course, he didn't answer the way I would normally expect him to.

He glanced quickly either side. He lent in close to my ear so that no one could overhear him. What could be that important that he couldn't let anyone else hear it? "There were things that came up. Problems with services. Apparently, your sister has put in a request to see you again." Jenna? Jenna wanted to see me again? She was 16 when I left so it makes sense that she remembers me. Wouldn't that make her 21 now? I've waited five years for that style of message from one of the Grassi family but now it has come and Dad is calling is a problem. It made no sense to me. I know it could be a problem if I left for real before I was 18 but it wasn't going to be like that. All it would be was a visit, nothing big could possibly happen. "Cas?" I realised that I had been lost in my thoughts, silently seething at his words.

I nodded gently, holding back salty tears, "Can we talk about this later, Dad?" He didn't see how upset it made me that he wouldn't let me even see Jenna again.

"Course sweety. Let's go, yeah?" He smiled but I could see that behind that joyful, powerful exterior, he was worried. And, I knew exactly what he was worried about. He was worried that I would want to leave him for the Grassi's. That I wouldn't want to stay with him anymore. If I spoke with him away from all of these people, all of this, then he might be able to think about it slightly better and how it was making me feel. He probably wouldn't allow it here, no matter how well I play my argument. He wouldn't want to lose his strong posture and reputation. Those were two key things for a General like himself. And, I respected that. I wouldn't forfeit that for him. But, later on, when everyone else had gone, then it would be upsetting but he didn't, or wouldn't, have to worry about other people seeing and judging him. That would make it a lot easier for both of us, I thought.

Yes, the next couple of chapters are set in November/December because that's how I have made it work.

I have one question: do I make a chapter all based on Christmas Day? And show how that works or do you think that would drag the story on too much. I only have a little bit left to write before that would fit in so... Anything that could help would be really appreciated. Thanks guys.

Also, I have written a couple of speech/presentations on the LGBTQ+ community and I was wondering whether or not to upload them as well. Let me know about that as well.

Love you guys so much <3