Chapter 2 - Summers

Chapter 2 - Summers

I take a deep breath as I stare at my reflection in the mirror. “How many times has this happened?” I ask myself out loud, grateful that my roommate and best friend, Jamie, isn’t around.

This is not the first time I end up crying in my room because a dick decided to play with my heart. I have even got to believe I’m cursed or something because this happens awfully too often. I really know how to pick them, uh? I always fall for the son of a bitch who doesn’t take me seriously and who only wants to have fun. I’m not easy, you know? It’s not like I throw myself at every man because I want to have fun. I honestly like them, I try; but they never try to make it work like I do. They just get bored when they realise I look for something serious.

Is it that hard for a girl to find a good boyfriend? Someone who would want to listen to me, to take my hand and walk with me through Uni, proud to be seen with me, someone who would support me through my career? Apparently, it’s bloody impossible. Twenty years and I haven’t met a single guy who fulfils those requirements.

Jamie says it’s because I only pay attention to the douches and that I don’t pay attention to the real guys, the nice ones. But how can it be possible that every bloke I fancy happens to be an arse? No, it makes more sense that someone threw a curse on me.

“Robin Summers, this is no time to cry over a guy,” I tell myself taking another deep breath and wipe away the tears. “Connor is a douche and you’re way better off without him. You’re an independent girl who needs no man,” I add and smile at the end. That line will always make me smile. “You have work to do and you need to stop talking to your reflection,” I muse and shake my head.

With a last deep breath, I stand up and go to the bathroom to wash my face. I have to go to the paper’s room. I’m the head of the newspaper sport section in our University and I have to organise people. They need me at my hundred per cent. Heartbreak is something I’ll have to put at the back of my mind and move on. Plus, I have experience at that. Again, I’ve gone through way too many of these.

But no, I won’t give up on men. I know the right guy is somewhere and someday I’ll find him. Maybe I’ll go through other shitty relationships, but some day I’ll find a guy who will appreciate and respect me.

Someday…

I just wish that day comes soon. I don’t like to feel alone and since Jamie got a boyfriend, I spend more time on my own than I did before. That’s why spending my time working at the paper is gonna help me to feel better. Keeping myself busy always helps with the heartache.

I make sure my hair is in its place and I apply some foundation because my skin is red due to all the crying. I normally don’t wear makeup because I honestly have no clue on how to do so, but at least I know how to put some foundation on. That’s huge for me. Jamie always says I’m a lucky girl because I don’t need to wear makeup and I look fine. It surely saves me a lot of time and I only wear makeup for special occasions, with Jamie’s help, of course.

I leave my room keeping my head high. I’ve got my heart broken multiple times and no one has ever seen me hiding or with my eyes locked on the floor. Always proud, always confident even if I’m not. I just won’t let others see that.

Fool the rest, don’t let them see your weakness. That’s the way to win the game. Make them believe you’re the strongest, Dad used to tell me and that’s my life motto. Even if I’m not okay, everyone must believe I am okay. Strength is something everyone admires and admiration leads to respect.

The main reason I love sports that much is my father. He wanted a boy but I’m an only daughter and he managed to live everything he dreamt of with me. He took me to every game, the taught me everything, and I loved it. I enjoyed every single moment. We would always have fun at the stadiums, at every game. While all my girl friends were playing dolls, I was watching games with my father and watching my classmates play. I’ve always loved to watch games more than to play. All kind of sports.