Epilogue - Tomlinson

Relationships are not easy. Loving each other is not enough. Some days will be wonderful, some others will be a disaster. Relationships are a mix of good and bad days and it’s up to both parts to make it work. You can’t expect the other person to fix their problems on their own because when you accept to be with someone else, you accept to share their lives as well as yours. The best way to work things out is as a couple, together. Love is the ground of a relationship, but it takes a lot more to make it work.

I’m happy to say Robin and I work together. We communicate better now and try to be as clear as possible. Our main problem wasn’t Robin’s insecurity and jealousy, or my oblivion to see the differences between the girls that wanted to get in my bed and the ones that really wanted to congratulate me. Our problem was communication. I never really understood why she was jealous and why she got angry with me every time. I never told her why I didn’t see a difference. I never told her that I was so in love with her that I was blind to any other girl. If I had told her that, if I had showed her that since the beginning, she would’ve have reacted that badly. If she had explained me that paranoia she had because of all her bad relationships I would’ve done something sooner.

Communication is key.

Now I know of every relationship that she’s had. Now I understand better.

Now I’m more careful and realise when I girl is flirting with me and put things clear from the beginning. I make sure everyone else knows I’m only interest in Robin. The last time a girl approached me with a different intention I told her immediately that I have a girlfriend and I love her and that I wasn’t interest. She was offended at first although I was nothing but polite, but she left. Then I turned around and saw Robin, watching, but this time she didn’t make a scene, she didn’t yell at me. She was smiling.

Actions are louder than words. By doing that I reassured her of my feelings.

And being so clear about not wanting anything with anyone else has made things easy. Girls know that not because I stand out in the team means I’m going to go to bed with the first girl that throws herself at me. I’m not that kind and I’ll never be. I’m the kind of guy who wants a serious and stable relationship, and I have that with Robin.

We still have our bad days, though. We fight, but for different reasons. It’s not only one problem. It’s because we have bad days, because we don’t agree. But the thing is not that we fight, that’s normal, it’s that now we really can talk and solve our issues.

I’ve learnt a lot about relationships. A real and mature relationship.

“Knock, knock,” I hear and chuckle. The door is closed and Harry is inside, so it can only be one person and my smile is automatic.

I leave the jumper I had in my hands on top of my bed, next to my bag, and I go to open. As I swing the door I see her standing at the other side, both hands at her back and a bright smile across her face.

“You could always knock for real, you know?” I tell her smiling and her own widens.

“Yeah, but if I do you wouldn’t be sure it’s me at the other side. Hello, there,” she adds and takes a step closer, stands on her tiptoes and presses her lips against mine softly. “How’s packing?” she asks as I step aside for her to enter. “Hi, Harry!”

“Hi, Robin. Ready to leave?” the curly boy asks smiling brightly at my girlfriend who stays away as I walk up to my bed to resume packing.

The academic year is over, summer vacations are here and we’re getting ready to leave. Robin is coming with me. Mum wouldn’t hear about not taking Robin to meet her and my sisters and Robin accepted immediately, with the only condition that I have to go meet her family next.