Prologue

The Beginning

No one asked me if I wanted to join the royal family of Larina. In fact, if I had known what was going to happen to me, I would never have agreed to pretend to be Princess  Adriana.  Everyone knew, of course, that there were risks to my job, but they never guessed that I would be subjected to not only kidnapping, but secrets, love, a ransom, betrayals, friendships, confusion, and uncertainty.  

My name is (or used to be) Elizabeth Marks.  Before I knew it, I had been thrust into a whole new world.  My toes sizzled in the hot sand as I played with my other brothers and sisters while my mother shopped, as she always did at this time of day.  The rhythmical steps of the police from the palace thudded in my ears as they patrolled around the shops that were scattered throughout our town.  Suddenly, the captain of the guard had halted the beat, and he led three of the most important men, their medals shining brightly in my bright eyes as I squinted to see who was going to be arrested.  As you could tell if you looked in our country jail, there were many thiefs, murderers, and kidnappers in our particular village.

However, the men stopped by me, and the captain strained his old muscles(I think he was almost forty at the time), and blocked the sun from my eyes.  I felt his cold discernment staring into my soul, which I was always very happy to share with anyone.  

Unexpectedly, he motioned with his hand, pointing towards me wordlessly.  Rough gloved hands scraped my bare arms as I was hoisted up, and carried over into the middle of the street while carriages and wagons rattled by loudly, ringing in my ears.  The four men pounded around me, looking like vultures as they examined me.  Then, just as unexpectedly as before, a carriage was brought up, and I was lifted up to the man waiting inside of it.