Confessions.

This chapter is dedicated to ......... the name shown above!  Shocker!  LOL.....  Just kidding, she's awesome, check her out!  I mean her books, just in case you were wondering.  ; )

_____________________________________________Chapter 11-Confessions

After what seemed like hours, the Marks took Grania downstairs to the kitchen to attempt giving her medicine.  I heard them trying to coax her into taking her pill, which she obstinately refused to accept.  It almost made me laugh, Grania was so hilariously stubborn, and neither sides were progressing or winning this fight.

Once they were gone, I flew into action, knowing that now was my time to escape, and there would be no more chances for me to escape after this.  I picked up my basket and ran to the window, praying that no more interruptions would occur.  Right that moment, Jerusha woke up.  “Come on!”  I muttered under my breath, knowing what she was about to make me do, and I definitely did not want her to ask.  But it was too late, the question was already out there.  “Wait, Princess, do you want me to come with you?” she asked me, smiling sweetly but mischievously, knowing how much I needed to leave, right now.

I shook my head mutely, wondering what was going on in that devious mind of hers.  She laughed evily, but then surprised me by telling me something very unexpected, but also very welcome.  “Well, thank you so much for offering and I would love to come with you, but I would rather stay here than go on some reckless adventure.  I just came to say goodbye and to give you this.”  She held out a small pouch.  

“Momma and I made these for Michaelmas gifts for our friends and neighbors, especially since the plague is rising once more.  They are little pouches which are full of medicinal herbs, and all of them have different purposes.  My momma taught me what they all do.  I will teach you if you want me to, and don’t worry, I’ll be quick.”  She whispered while tucking the gift into my basket for me.  

She looked very proud of her gift as she quickly ran through all of the herbs in the pouch and what they were good for, which I appreciated.  Now I knew what to use if I scraped my knee; also what I need to use if I was bit by a wild animal or poisonous snake. The pouch had all of the above, and I was now partially educated on what to treat a million different wounds with.

I hugged her as she finished, thanking her for all that she had done for me.  Then, I told her that I needed to leave, and that I had no more time, as her parents were probably already coming back to us.  She nodded and returned to her bed, waving goodbye to me as she walked back.  

I opened the third-story window, stared down at the ground, and jumped, kissing my life goodbye.  As I did this, Jerusha pulled back at her covers, and watched me with one eye open.  I could tell that she was curious as to what I was going to do now that I was escaping from my captors, especially since she thought her parents were so efficient.  Now back to my life-risking escape, as I was now slipping down towards the dark, cold alley where my life would soon end.

However, not all was lost.  My devious little lying self had told the Marks that one of their mattresses was moldy and the springs were broken, and they had instantly thrown it out of the house, not wanting to risk the mold spreading to the rest of their house’s furnishing.

Now, as I was falling, I felt a sort of peace, even though I secretly knew that I would not die.  Life is too precious to me, and I knew that I was too awesome to die so soon.  However, I still kind of felt as though there was always that possibility.  Some say that as you are dying you feel a sense of restfulness, and I had never been sure as to whether it was true or not, but now I am sure that it is.  However, it was not my time to die yet, and the feeling was over in a moment.

I suddenly felt a twang of pain shoot up my leg, reaching my waist and going throughout the rest of my body.  When I was finally brave enough to open my eyes, I found that I was on the mattress. Then, I heard screaming above me, so I quickly jumped up, ignoring the pain progressing up my leg as I put weight on it.  I began running, and soon I heard footsteps behind me.  So Mr. Marks wanted to go down fighting.  

I started running a little quicker, not worrying much because I knew that even though my leg injured, I was still quicker than most of the whole castle.  My limp was very distinguished, though, and I knew that it would soon be drawing a crowd.  I also knew that my plight would seem more sympathetic than Mr. Marks’, as I was just a poor little girl.

Or maybe I just was not worried because I was the swiftest person in the castle.  Life at the castle now appeared to nothing more than a sweet dream.  Or just a different life altogether.  I paused for a moment, remembering my old life, and then I already started running again, trying to bury my old life, as I missed it so dearly.

As I was running, Mr. Marks was drawing a crowd.  Some people suggested “we should call the police!” which was met stubbornly by others pointing out, “who would get arrested, though?”  For a little added effect just to make it seem like he was the one chasing me and he was the wrong-doer, I whimpered “help” a few times, and some women came up and began comforting me, or at least acting like they were.  Some people are weird that way, where they try to act as though they are helping people so that their reputation is improved.

Then some men blocked the path behind me, letting me go home free.  This fueled me, and I was soon running again, shoving aside crowds of people. Mr. Marks was still trying to push past the men blocking him, but it was to no avail, and made me want to stick my tongue out at him in defiance.  He stared after me, begging me to turn back or he was going to face “the consequences” as  the man had said.  

I ran a little longer until I came to a respectable-looking inn right on the edge of town.  I walked inside and asked the woman at the counter how much food and a room would cost.  She looked me up and down, and then asked me how much I could afford to pay.  

I decided to be generous towards the woman, as she looked like she didn’t have much food besides what she gave to her customers, and I offered one gold piece for both dinner and board.  This money probably payed the money ten times over, but I felt truly sorry for the young woman.  

When she heard what I offered her, she shook her head.  “No, no, my lady.  I could not take that much money from you!” she uttered, her eyes widening as large as saucers.  “You must.  That is how much I am willing to pay, and I will leave this inn if you do not accept my money, for generosity helps many besides you, and we would not want your boss to hear of this,” I warned gently.  

She seemed to get my very strong hint, so, nodding her head slightly while deeply curtsying she said, “Of course, my lady.  I will see to it that you get the finest room of them all.”  With this, she ran off, the gold clutched tightly in her dirty little fist, which looked as though it had been worked rough, as though she was afraid that I was about to call her back to me and demand the money back.  She was most likely off to show the owner of the inn what a customer had given her, hoping that he would give her a raise for bringing more money than any other waitresses.

I didn’t quite know what most people do while waiting for a waitress to serve me in a restaurant, so I sat down at one of the seven wooden tables scattered around the reception room.  Around me, people were going about their normal, busy lives.  Some were eating while others talked, laughed, sang, drunk mug after mug of beer, and lounged on chairs by the fireplace.  I felt quite out of place sitting primitively with my back arched, sitting all alone in a dark corner of the spacious restaurant. 

After a couple of minutes, the girl came back and handed me a very well-used menu.  “What can I get for you, my lady?” she asked me eagerly.  I picked out one of the cheap, bland entrees, and she went into the kitchen to place my order.  I tapped my fingers on the table, awaiting impatiently for my food to fill my empty stomach.  

                                                   ______________________________________

Just noticed that i uploaded the same chapter twice.... sorry.  Well, here it is!  I hope you enjoyed this chapter..... And Adriana is off!  YAY!    I am so proud of how this story is getting along, and I never could have done it without all of you avid readers. 

Thanks for reading,

loviedovy12/Hannah