More Nightmares

This is dedicated to........ the next person that fans me!

                                                                                    Chapter #13

                                                                                                Chapter 13 

It was getting dark outside, so I decided to build a fire to keep me warm(and hopefully ward off some particular masked men).  I broke off some branches that I had gathered on our way, and I positioned them to make a fire.  As I was taking out one of the blankets that I stole from the Marks, apologizing silently to them as I went about it, I heard something once again, this time coming from behind one of the trees that surrounded us.  

As soon as he heard the noise, the fur on Orion’s back raised, and he bounded off into the woods, barking loudly as he went.  “Orion!  Orion?  Come back, Orion!”  But he would not come back, so I tried again.  “Orion! Come back, Orion!”  I jumped to my feet and started running after him, not sure where he could have gone.  

After I said that for the last time, he came bounding back, and immediately began tugging on the bottom of my dress, practically dragging me along back towards the sound.  I was about to find out what he had discovered.  Once I was finally pulled all of the way to the trees, he showed me a rabbit.  He picked it up by the scruff of the neck, and placed it before me, looking proudly, as if expecting a reward.  I wasn’t quite sure what to do, so I haltingly told him, “good boy,” and then nudged the carcass forward with my feet, feeling bile rise up in my throat as I glanced at the creature which had been alive only moments ago.

After he had finished eating his dinner, we laid down to sleep.  I rested my head on his small, warm body, surprised to find how soft his fur was.  I closed my eyes, and slowly breathed in the sweet, clean air. I listened to the soft sounds of the crickets, and the sound made me long for home.  The grass was soft here, and I felt relaxed by the cushion surrounding me, and I let myself go, falling asleep almost immediately after I had the time to process what was occurring.                                       

I once again saw Jean.  He was once again accompanied by the masked men, planning revenge on me.  I could no longer doubt that he had evil intentions toward me, because even though I was not sure as to whether or not my dreams were true, I had gone over every one of our meetings in my head, and it seemed that he had changed after a short time. 

I had no idea why Jean would want revenge, but he seemed like he really wanted to kill me.  His eyes held an unnatural glint of madness, and were full of murderous thoughts.  This was not the Jean that I had known, that was for sure.  

Jean cleared his throat, and then he rose from the chair at the head of the table where he was sharing his luxurious dinner of smoked salmon, herring, black bread, and ale with the masked men.  Clearing his throat, he opened his mouth to speak to the men.  He blasted his words to the men throughout the room as he began to talk to the fiends.  

“Gentlemen, we shall have her soon.  I am aware that she has gotten away from us all of the times, but we will have our revenge!  Revenge for what her parents did to us!  The fools thought that banishing our league would work, but what they did not know was that we would continue to hate them through life and death, and just banishing us would not chang that fact in their lives.  They should have killed us while they could! Ha . . . Changing  your name and appearance can really fool people to make them think that you are someone else.”  

This stunned me, and I began wondering who truly was Jean?  And if this terrible, bloodthirsty man wanted to kill me, I am sure something much worse happened to the real Jean Philippe VIII.  

If my dreams were my dreams true, Jean was not who he professed to be.  I shuddered at the though of what could have happened to the real Jean. 

The masked men had stood up while I was processing this information, and the air was full of congratulatory screams.  But then I also realized that, as they were standing up, they had picked up their weapons.  

Most of the weapons varied from kitchen knives to pitchforks, and I not only could distinguish several guns and swords scattered throughout the men, but the men were also grinding their swords along a spinning wheel which I guessed would sharpen them so that they would be able to hurt whoever they wanted to even more.  And if I was not mistaken, I guessed that they were coming after me this time, or the ones that I loved.  Jolts of fear were sent through my body, and I found that I was unable to move my feet from where they were planted on the ground in fear.

Then, I saw Mr. Marks and his family.  I was not quite sure where they were, or if it was even truly them, because it was difficult to tell through the foggy haze.  They all looked fine, but I noticed that Mr. Marks walked with a slight limp.  And his family seemed somehow changed, and seemed more formal and reserved.  What had the fake Jean done to them!  

“We will be all right,” Mrs. Marks whispered into Mr. Mark’s ears while clutching her children, obviously not believing what she had just told him.  Then, I saw the shadows of the masked men coming towards them, and I could hear their loud songs, and then, I knew that Mrs. Marks was wrong and even she knew it.  The men were obviously drunk by their songs, and one of the children screamed as they came nearer.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Thanx, guys for reading!  I would like at least 1650 reads before i update, as it is Sat. or I guess just the summer, and I assume that ppl. read more over the weekends/ summer.  At least, I do..........

Love ya'all! loviedovy12

Oh, and P.S: the italics are her dreams.