Escape of the Draining Duo?

Chapter 31:

Three days passed, and we decided that our plan would go into action that day.  It was cloudy and downcast, but Parker stated that it could be in our favor as long as we didn’t get lost.  After the midday meal, we went to the stables to retrieve our horses.  The horse I had escaped with had been set loose, so I had to use a stallion that belonged to one of the more bulky riders.  By the time we escaped, he wouldn’t have noticed, as he only rode when he attended hunts with the king or queen.  It had taken much convincing from my father to allow me to once again go riding, but as Parker was one of his more trustworthy soldiers, it was allowed.  My mother had not been informed of our afternoon ride, and we preferred to keep it that way.  After ransacking the kitchen, I had a pack full of foods that would last for at least a week.  Dressing in my riding skirt, I walked down to the stables, trying to keep myself from blurting out our plan to every passing courtier.  

Once I saw Parker, my step quickened.  There was no way this plan could work... Parker and I had grown up together and we had been beyond mischievous.  Never once had one of our “genius” ideas been successful, no matter how much of our brain power went into our plots.  We had been affectionately know as the “Draining Duo” because of our energy and persistence.  We were everyone’s favorite; we were the two kids everyone hated but couldn’t help but love.  

Parker and I walked together in silence, too nervous to speak.  My knees were weak and shaking, even after my many adventures this was terrifying.  Failure would result in the death of Derrick and my immediate marriage to someone I knew I could never love.  My parents were already mad at me for leaving once, I can’t imagine how they’d react if I left again.  If Parker was caught helping a refugee, he would  be forced to leave the army and possibly die if my parents were angered enough.  After nodding to the stable master, both of us saddled our horses and prepared to leave.  Once we were outside of the palace grounds, we were practically free, unless we were followed.  Until then, my heart was stuck in my throat.  

Our horses advanced, and soon we were getting waved through the gates by the guards.  When we had made it through the large iron gates I let out a deep breath I didn’t know I had been holding in.  We had made it.  This was really happening.  Now I just had to go find Derrick and get him away from Jean. 

“So now what?”  Parker asked me.  

“Now we go find Derrick,” I stated, trying to sound as determined as I could.  The only problem was that I had no clue where Derrick could be.  I guess Parker could tell, as the next words to leave his mouth asked the same question.

“And where might we find him?”  Suddenly my plan seemed to have a lot more flaws.  Sure we had made it out of the castle, but he could be halfway across the continent by now.  

We kept on riding in silence, both of us deep in thought.  It was difficult to choose one particular direction to follow not knowing where to look for our missing person.  Jean would go exactly where we didn’t expect him to go, which means that it’s hard for us to take a guess.  

Once we reached the region where the noble manors faded behind us and turned into small cottages, we heard horses thundering behind us.  After sharing a glance, we both slowed down, knowing that we couldn’t outrace the palace.  At least we could pretend like we were beginning to turn back towards the palace.  

“Princess!  There are visitors at the palace and your parents have called you back.  You are to visit with them in two hours, so you should turn back right away.”  With that, the group of four horsemen turned back and galloped away.  

“Well, I guess our escape plan wasn’t quite as effective as we had hoped... I’m sorry, princess.”  Parker stated solemnly, bowing as well as you could while riding a horse.  

We both turned our horses around and began returning towards the prison many call a palace.  I tried going as slow as I could, but sadly we had a timeline to meet.  Hopefully I wasn’t about to meet my future husband, but the fact that he was supposed to arrive today didn’t make my chances very high.  I was riding to my death, and I couldn’t do anything about it.  Maybe he wouldn’t be that bad and I could live a decent life with him.  However, after Derrick, I don’t know if I could love anyone else.  Knowing that I caused his death cut me to the core, and I didn’t know how I could live with myself after killing an innocent.  Even if he was still alive, he was as good as dead because he was with Jean, a ruthless man.  

Going back into the castle was even worse than leaving.  At least when we were leaving there was hope; now all that I could hope was that my new husband wouldn’t be a monster.  There were so many unhappy marriages around the court, and I had no desire to join their mass.  

As soon as I entered the castle door, I was swarmed by my maids and rushed back to my suite.  They forced me into a chair and began pulling at my hair and plucking at my face, getting ready to see this man.  My mother stood in the background, yelling orders to anyone who would listen.  She had decided to go with the violet taffeta, and as much as I wished I could hate the dress, it was beautiful.  After lacing up everything, I was unable to breath as always.  

My mother grabbed my wrist and began guiding me to the ballroom.  Everyone else had already gathered there, and all eyes were on me as I was introduced to the crowd.  I scanned the group and was horrified when I saw who was standing by my father casually conversing.  How dare he be back?!

~~~

I'm sure you all already know.... he's back!  Sorry it took me so long to update, but here it is!

~Hannah