The Mob

Chapter #23

No one would explain what was happening, and the Mystery Man, now known as Derrick, left swiftly.  Daffodil retrieved me from the room outside of the Grand Hall, and she led me outside.  

When we were outside, I asked Daffodil why I had not been able to see the queen.  She looked at me as though I was stupid.  Well, sorry if I am not fully educated on your SECRET world!

“She has not let anyone see her ever since Mai rebelled.  She could see you, but you were unable to see her.”  She stated, as though the answer were obvious.  

We continued, walking in silence, unsure of whether to speak or not.  I decided to take the easy and less awkward path, and remained silent.  Finally, after several minutes of silence, we reached a large flower-shaped building.  She unlocked the door, and I silently stepped inside.

The moment that the door was closed, someone knocked on it.  Well, as Daffodil looked through the peephole, I could see hundreds of fairies gathered on her yard.  

“Well, Andriana, it seems as though your presence her has been acknowledged.” Daffodil stated, obviously concerned at the multitude gathered on her doorstep. 

Daffodil then continued to close the shades, while instructing me on what to do.  She added a bar to the lock on the door, as the crowd was now pressing against the door, yelling at her to give me to them.

“Go upstairs.  There is a large empty trap door.  I will show you as soon as I finish securing the house.”  She stated calmly.  I could sense her anxiety, so I  quickly followed her directions.

I ran upstairs, finally finding the trap door after several minutes of my heart pounding in my ears.  I followed the trap door’s passage, crawling on my hands and knees.  However, after following the passage, I came to a brick wall.  

Daffodil caught up with me, and banged on the wall three times, ignoring my protests and questions.  After I truly believed that she had gone crazy, she looked back at me angrily, and then proceeded to bang on the wall once more.  

“This house, happy as it seems, once belonged to tour greatest enemy.  He had this house equipped with hundreds of trap doors and secret hatches.”  She looked back at me, and as the door opened, urged me in.  

“Get in!  What are you waiting for, an invitation?”

I crawled into the hatch obediently, like a naughty dog that had not obeyed his master.  “Good bye,” she told me, handing me a candle.

“Follow the path down, and eventually it will lead you back to your land,” she instructed me slowly, as if it would take me a while to fully comprehend her words.  

I scoffed her act, and turned to continue alone down the grey stone passageway, picking through the  cobwebs and dead animals to move on. 

Author's Note: so who is pumped about the Hunger Games?  Can't wait to see it!  

                                      VOMMENT! FAN!  You know you want to! ; )