The Prime Minister

Chapter 27:

I walked as confidently as was possible out of the laundromat.  As I neared the exit, I noticed the owner talking to a man, someone that clearly looked as if he was from the castle.

“Yes, the man you speak of was here, I let him in the laundry after he came in with quite a few men, he was looking for someone from the castle.”  Some mumbling interrupted her, but then she looked confused.  “No, the Prince was not here.  If he was, we would not have the store open right now.  He does great business, you know, with all those outfits of his that always need cleaning.  The man did leave with a lot of the bags of laundry, and no I did not challenge him, they had weapons.  Of course, I told him not to, but now I will be punished harshly for the loss of the castle’s laundry.”  The woman replied, sounding worried as she clung her hands together in front of her rough cloth dress.

I mentally praised the owner of the store; I had asked her not to give out my name or that I was here, and this man didn’t seem like someone who wanted to know when I would be available to accompany him to tea.  The man turned around, and the sun caught his sharp, spindly features.  My breath hitched in my throat as I realized who the man was.  In front of me stood the Prime Minister, Sir Oswald.  I had been introduced to the grey-haired man by Jean, and the man had not particularly stood out to me because of his kindness; his face remained cold and composed, never showing a hint of emotion.  In fact, Jean had told me more than one tale of this man’s harsh judgement, and I knew that I definitely did not want to cross this Sir Oswald if not necessary.  One man, who had committed several offenses for not paying his dues to his lord, was forced into slavery for the rest of his life to the man for not staying kept up.  

However, this man seemed to want to know about the prince; I wondered if he wanted to help him or hurt him.  Maybe he could help me get him back; I didn’t really want to make any risks.  After all, this man hadn’t exactly done anything to win my trust.  Jean did not exactly speak of him highly, and this man probably didn’t think of Jean highly either.  

Just to prove my point, the man pulled his sword out of its scabbard by his side.  He advanced towards the woman, his boots clicking smartly on the wooden floorboards.  She shrieked in horror, so I guessed that he had to have done something to lose her trust.  By now, my instincts were flashing with fear, and I knew that this man was definitely not a ‘good guy.’  Not many men that I had met on my adventures--besides Jean, of course--were truly ‘good guys.’  It was quite a disappointment to me;  I had expected better, judging from the gentlemen I had met previously at the castle.  Though back then I had been extremely sheltered, thinking that men were all gallant and chivalrous. 

I slowly drew my small jeweled blade which really did not compare to his, not really wanting to get into hand-to-hand combat if necessary and kind of hoping that he would just back off when he saw that not everybody here is defenseless.  My feet placed themselves in front of each other, and I found myself counting how many steps I was taking, more out of nervousness than counting reasons.  When I was occupied, there was a smaller chance that I would actually begin thinking about what I was currently doing.  

“Ah, who do we have here?  Looks like the little sweet princess!  And where the princess is, the prince must be somewhere; he is your tiny puppy dog, following you everywhere and such.  Really, I don’t see the attraction,” he stated, looking down at me.  “Now where is the sweet little puppy dog?  Tell me, girl, and I won’t hurt you.  So you’ll be getting the better side of the deal, as long as you simply obey what I direct you to do.”  He commanded, his voice getting sterner after he had sufficiently teased me.  Edging closer, he began holding his sword in front of him, and I guessed that he had seen my small pathetic dagger and somehow judged it a threat to him.  Well, let him think that way.