A Changed Man

Two weeks later...

I remember lying on my bed, doing nothing other than looking up the ceiling.

"Should I?" I asked myself. It was about Elena. I don't know why it is bothering me. She has a own thing and I do too, but then if I know that, then why I am lying on my bed, thinking if..... if I should change.

My train of thought was interpreted when I heard a knock on the door.

"Come in!" I shouted. The door opened and it was Sam who came through the door.

"Damn, Sam. You look like crap." I said as I sat up, leaning against the wall. Sam only nodded before falling onto his bed.

"This is why I hate traffic." he mumbled into his pillow. I couldn't help but laugh at his comment. Sometimes, he can be over dramatic.

"Where's Sully?" Sam asked, lifting his head from the pillow.

"Don't know. Went somewhere, that's for sure." I answered, lying on my back on my bed. I closed my eyes and went back to my train of thought.

"Why should I change?" I asked myself. "It's not like she is forcing me to. This is how I live. This is what I do. There's no point in doing so. But.... no. This is me. No questions asked."

"Who's Elena?" My eyes opened so fast that I had to adjust to the light, before facing Sam who was already in his casual clothing.

"What...what did you say?"

"I said, who's Elena?" Sam said slowly like I was deaf. I did heard him the first time, but I was just surprised that he mentioned her. I never mentioned her to Sam at all.

"Just a friend. Why?" I asked as I got out of bed.

"Nothing. Just that she left a message on the phone." Sam answered. After hearing this, I quickly went downstairs and listened to the message.

"Hey Nate, it's me, Elena. Just want to let you know that I have a piece of work that you forgot the other day. Even though it's not too important, if you need it, just let me know. I'll see you soon, bye."

Now I'm in a dilemma. I deliberately didn't take the work. And now, Elena took it for me. I... I don't know what to do.

"So what? Now you're interested in work now?" I quickly turned around and saw Sam behind me.

"What? No. What makes you think that?"

"I don't know. Maybe it's just because she basically took your work for you." Sam said sarcastically. I went to the living room since I knew what he was going to say.

"Don't you try to convince me." I warned Sam, but that never works, so I don't know why I bother.

"Look, Nathan. I'm only going to ask you once. Why don't you give a damn?"

"Because I don't!" I shouted. That didn't seem to help since Sam punched my arm. Pretty hard, to be honest.

"I'm seriously getting tired of your crap! That girl sounds like a nice, hardworking person, and you're telling me she doesn't know?!"

"Of course not! Why should she know? It won't change anything."

"Even if it doesn't change anything, she has the right to know!"

"You don't control me! Nobody does!" At this point, I had enough of Sam, so I pushed him, ran to my room and locked the door. I'm sick and tired of people telling me what to do. Why should they care about me whether I work or not?! This is my life in the end.

Soon after, my phone rang. Perfect timing, I have to say.

"Hello?" Honestly, I didn't sound like I care.

"Hey, Nate."

"Elena? Hey. Um...how are you?" Now I was trying to sound like I care.

"I'm good, thanks. I was wondering whether you got my voice message"

"Oh, um..yeah, I did. You..can keep the work, if you want." For some reason, there was a pain that came about me saying this. It was true that I never told Elena that I don't care for work, but I wasn't sure why. I wasn't sure about anything.

"Oh, OK. Well, just called to check. I'll see you later, then."

"Wait, Elena?"

"Yeah?"

I took a deep breath. "Are you free after school tomorrow?"

"Yeah, always. Why?"

"Just..um...could you....you help me with my....work?"

That phrase changed everything. For the better.