A Feeling Unlike Any Other

A few years later..

This was a normal afternoon during the weekend. I started to feel the stress coming into my system now. Since I was in 12th grade now, I was getting close to graduation, meaning the work was getting extremely hard. I could be exaggerating about it, but you can't blame me for thinking that. But things were about to get worse. Again, might be exaggerating, but you will understand soon.

Like I said, it was the weekend and I was on my laptop, doing research on a few treasures that were out there in the world, since I was still planning on being an adventurer after school. While I was doing this, my phone started to ring.

"Hello?" I answered

"Hey, Nate." I was surprised to hear that it was Elena. She had told me she would be quite busy during the weekend. Despite that, I was glad to hear her. Honestly, I feel like I have feelings for her. Like real feelings. I don't know when I started developing them, but I did. And in case you are wondering, I haven't told her because honestly, I don't want her to think about these feelings while we were close to graduation.

So anyway, we talked for a bit about all the work we had to do when I realised she sounded different. Like something was bothering her.

"Hey, are you OK? You don't sound all right." I asked. I had to ask since I was worried about her. 

I heard her sigh through the phone before answering. "Yeah. It's just....."

"Just what?"

"Just... after I graduate, my family has to.. move back to Colorado."

I never felt so many emotions from one thing. I didn't know what to say, so there was a long silence between the phone. I don't think she knew what to say as well. But the silence couldn't last forever.

"Why.. do you have to go back?" I asked.

"I don't know. I'm sorry, Nate. I.."

"It's OK. You didn't decide this. Right?" I don't know why I had concern, but like I said, I didn't know what I was feeling.

"Of course not! I don't want to leave! I.... I'm sorry, I have to go." She hanged up the phone. I felt so much anger in me, so I threw my phone against the wall and fell on my bed. I didn't want this to happen. I didn't want her to leave Florida. Soon, my door suddenly flung open.

"The heck is going on?" Sam quickly asked once he came into the room. Before I could answer, he saw my phone on the floor and a dent on the wall.

"You want to explain?" Sam asked as he picked up my phone and placed it on the table counter. I stayed quiet for a bit before answering.

"Elena is moving away." I said quietly.

I heard Sam sigh at the news. "When?" he asked.

"After graduation." I said simply. I didn't make any eye contact with him since honestly, I didn't fell in the mood to talk to him.

"Nathan, I.."

"Just go. I don't want to talk." I said sternly. Sam sighed and left the room. I was on my own now, allowing my emotions to take over. I was really hoping in seeing her after graduation while going about our daily lives. I wanted to be with her and now she was leaving. I didn't know what to do. I was lost and I hate feeling lost in things.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. Once again, my anger came back.

"Would you just leave me alone, Sam?!" I shouted.

"Bit too old to be Sam." I was surprised to hear that it was Sully. I was debating whether to let him. Then I gave in.

"You can come in, Sully." I quietly said. The door slowly opened and Sully slowly came in. He quietly sat on the side of my bed.

"I hear Elena is leaving soon." he said.

I sighed. "Yeah."

"Well, at least you can still see her before graduation."

"But that's not I want!" I shouted, allowing my frustration to show. "I want to see her here! Every day, even after graduation! And now she's going. I don't want her to go. I want her to stay. I want her to stay here with me."

There was a silence between us before Sully spoke again. "Nate?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you love her?" I quickly shot up from the bed after hearing that. I was so confused, I didn't know what to say.

"I...I don't know. Maybe. I think so. I don't know." I simply said before falling back onto my bed.

"Well, kid, if you do, then I understand." I looked at him before he continued. "It's hard to let go of someone who care deeply about. But sometimes, letting someone go shows how much who care about them. I know it will be hard to do, but it would be the best thing to do."

I stayed silent for a bit, letting what Sully had just said sink into my mind. What he said was true, but I just hate to say goodbye to her, since I won't know whether I will see her again or not. But there isn't anything I could do. And besides, she wasn't like she was on board with this as well.

"You're alright now, Nate?" I got startled when I hear Sully spoke since I was too into my thoughts.

"A bit. Thanks, Sully." I smiled.

He smiled back and ruffled my hair a bit. "No problem, kid." He then got up from the bed. "Well, I'll leave you to it. I'm in progress on making lunch, so I'll call you later."

"Cool." I replied. Before he left, I thought of an answer of the question he asked before.

"I do." I simply said. Sully quickly turned around when he heard me.

"You do what?" he asked confusingly.

I just smiled back. "The answer to the question. 'Do you love her?' I do."

Sully smiled. "Thought so." And with that, he closed the door, allowing me to be on my own for a bit, reflecting back at everything that had happened.