Knowing The Truth Part 1

There are some things you don't want anyone to know. As much as I trust Elena, even I can't tell her my secrets. But despite that plan, there is always one day where the truth had to be said.

It was the weekend and Elena came to visit since she had really nothing to do back at home. We were in my room where she was sitting on my bed and I was sitting on the floor. We were just talking about stuff, but mainly who we wanted to be in the future. Despite me caring more about work, I still wanted to be an adventurer. That was my plan from the start after all. 

"So what would be your first place to go as an adventurer?" she asked me.

"I don't know. Whatever sounds interesting." I replied.

"Sounds good." she smiled before returning to writing in her notebook. I wasn't sure what she was writing. It didn't bother me at first when she first came, but soon, for some reason, it started to.

"What are you writing, anyway?" I asked her while getting up from the floor.

She giggled. "So now you are interested?" she said with one of her eyebrows raised up. I just shrugged my shoulders.

"Well, since you asked so nicely, it just a....." Suddenly, she was interrupted by a loud bang coming from downstairs.

"What the heck's going on?!" I said.

"I told you to get out!" I was surprised to hear Sully shouting. It isn't normal to hear him like this. I knew he wasn't shouting at Sam and I did hear a door opening not too long ago, so it must have been a visitor.

"Is Sully OK?" Elena asked with concern.

"I don't know. I'll check while you wait here." I suggested. She nodded at me before I headed downstairs. Before I made it downstairs, Sam came through the living room with angry in his face.

"Hey, what's going...." I started to ask, but Sam just passed me without saying a word to me. So I went to the living room to find out myself.

I wish I didn't. For I saw him.

I felt like the world had stopped when I saw him. I kept my distance away and didn't enter the living room since I didn't want him to notice me. While I couldn't see the whole room, my eyes were able to see him and Sully standing up, facing each other. I could see the anger in Sully's eyes as he continued to shout at him. I couldn't blame him as there was a reason why.

"You can't just come into my house, telling me you have change and then ask me for some money! You got a job, haven't you?" Sully asked, still with anger in him. The man just stared onto the floor, basically saying 'I don't have a job anymore.' Sully noticed this and gave a big sigh.

"Victor, you have to listen to me." The man pleaded. But Sully was already looking like he was ready to punch him. It's rare for me to see him like this.

"No! No more! I'm tried of always helping you! You keep telling me you are going to pay me back, but with what? You can't even take care of yourself, let alone your sons!" 

"I know, but..."

"But what? There's nothing, Richard. Nothing! I want you out of here now!"

"Victor, I..." The argument was interrupted by the phone ringing. When they turned around, they both saw me. I couldn't move when I saw Richard, my father. His eyes looked straight at me, making me feel intimated. I couldn't remember the last time I saw him, but I know it was a long time ago. 

"Nathan." he said surprisingly. I couldn't reply back because there was nothing to reply back with.

"Nathan, I..."

"Get the phone, Nate." Sully interrupted my father. Before he could say anything else, I quickly went out of the living room, grabbed the phone and gave it to Sully, without making eye contract with my father. 

Sully answered it. "Hello?" I couldn't hear who he was talking to, but based on his expression of more anger, it wasn't good. When he stopped the phone call, he just started at the floor before talking to me.

"Is Elena still here?" he asked quietly, which was a big contrast to what his voice was before.

"Yeah." I answered.

"Then tell her she should head home now." He then looked up to face my father. "It's probably for the best for her." Right there, I knew what was going on. I felt the feeling of anger entering my body as he started to left the room. As I did that though, I felt my father grabbing hold of my arm. I quickly forced my arm out of his grip. 

"Nathan, please I..."

"Don't talk to me!" I shouted. I felt the anger rushing out through my veins as I said those words. I also felt tears starting to come down my face as I went upstairs and headed to my room. When I went inside, Elena was sitting on my bed, with Sam on his bed, lying down with his face on the pillow. When she saw me, she quickly got up.

"Nate, what happened? Your brother just came in and..."

"You have to go home now." I quickly said to her. 

She made a surprised face. "What's going on?" she said with concern.

I sighed. "I'll explain later. Right now, you have to leave." 

She sighed as well and then nodded. She grabbed her stuff before heading through the door. The room was silent as I lied on my bed, feeling the tears running down my face. I started to sob a bit when I heard Sam.

"What did that bastard do now?" 

I sighed. "Take a guess." I heard a big moan from Sam, which honestly it was warranted. As the silence consumed the room, I could hear Sully and my dad shouting at each other again. I shut out the noise. I didn't want to hear anything any more. I had enough. I hoped that it would end soon.