See You Around

One month later, my time at high school had ended as I had finally graduated. It was a bittersweet moment since I have been in that school for a long time, but all good things must come to an end, I guess. After the graduation ceremony, Sully held a graduation party at our house. It wasn't a big party ,rather a small one with him, Sam and I.

And Elena.

Sully invited her over to the party since this would be the last we would hopefully see her for a while. I say hopefully because I don't want this to be the last time I see her. I hate to think that. She means so much to me. Like I said, I wouldn't be where I am without her.

Two weeks later, I was sitting in Sam's car, staring out of the car window. We didn't say anything to each other for most of the journey. It was a day I didn't want to arrive, but I can't stop and rewind time. Wish I could though, so that my time with Elena wouldn't have to end so suddenly.

Soon, the car stopped which caused me to stop dazing. I looked about and then I realised where we were. I asked Sam if he could take me to Elena's so that I could say my last goodbye. For some reason, there was something in me, telling me that 'it was all a joke. She isn't really leaving.' But after seeing the moving truck at her house and all the boxes on the floor, that feeling went away immediately.

"You go ahead. I'll wait here." Sam told me, which caused me to stop my daze again.

"Ok, cool." I replied. I took a deep breath and opened the car door. It took a bit before I came out of the car, closing the door behind me. I slowly walked towards her house, the house she was going to leave forever. It was still so surreal that this was really happening, that she was really going.

I entered the house, minding the boxes that were on the floor. I looked about the house, trying to find her. I called out to her, but there was no answer.

"Hey, you!" I quickly turned around in shook when I heard that voice. The voice was coming from a man in his late 40s, carrying one of the boxes in his hands.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, clearly not happy that some stranger was walking into the house.

"Sorry, sir. I'm looking for Elena Fisher. I'm a friend of hers and I need to talk to her." I mentioned. He seemed to be thinking about it before placing the box on the floor.

"Wait here." he told me before walking behind the moving truck. I sat down in front of the door, waiting for him to come back. I heard footsteps, so I got up.

And then, I saw her. She saw me. She ran up to me and gave me a big hug. It felt like the world had stopped for a moment, just so we could have this one moment, one last time.

"I don't want to leave!" she sobbed. I didn't know what to say. All I could do was hold her tight for as long as I could, hoping that this would last longer. But we both knew it wouldn't be the case. Soon, we had to let go off each other.

Elena wiped her tears before looking at me. "I'm really gonna miss you, Nate."

I smiled a bit, not wanting my emotions in me to show. "I'll miss you too." I placed my hand on her arm, looking straight at her.

I had to tell me. I had to tell her how I feel, otherwise I probably won't get that chance again.

"Elena, I..." For some reason, there was something stopping me from telling her. It was like there was a large lump trapped in my throat, preventing me from saying it. But I had to. It didn't help that she was looking at me with tears still in her eyes, wanting desperately to know what I was going to say.

"Yeah?" she said, still trying to hold back her tears.

"I....I....don't want you to think of this as our last meeting. You knows, maybe someday we'll see each other again."

I didn't tell her. I don't know why, but I just couldn't bring myself from saying it. Maybe, deep down, I didn't want my last words to her to be 'I love you'. I may have be afraid that it would have torn her even more. But, luckily, my alternative last words made her smile a bit.

She wiped her tears and looked at me. "Yeah, I guess you're right. I mean, it is a small world after all." she chuckled a bit, which made me do the same. I pulled her closer for one more hug.

"Thank you, Nate." she whispered.

I smiled. "No. Thank you."

"Elena!" She turned around from our hug and saw the man I saw first, now knowing it was her father.

"Yeah?" she answered.

"We're going now." he mentioned before heading back. Elena stood still for a bit, not saying a word. My mind was all over the place. I didn't know what to do, so I gently placed my hand on her shoulder.

"Well, I'll see you around?" she asked, not facing me.

"Yeah, I'll see you around." There was a silence between us, a kind of silence I hate being a part of. Soon, she slowly walked away. The walk turning into a run as she disappears behind the moving truck.

The silence was still around me, but this time I welcomed it. Reality came back into my mind as I felt a tear running down my check. This was really happening. She was really leaving. Reality fully came back to my mind when I heard a car engine. A blue car emerged from behind the moving truck. I quickly ran after it for a while. I didn't believe I would catch up to it, but I wanted to see her face one more time.

"Elena!" I called out to her. I saw her turn around, smile and wave. I waved back. I then slowed down to a stop. I stood there as I saw the car disappear into the horizon.

"Goodbye, Elena. I love you."