Chapter 5

Eli's POV

I walked carefully along the road, my nerves racing as I headed towards the pack house. My step-mother had wanted privacy, and moved to a house at the edge of the town, about twenty minutes from the pack house. Luckily, everyone was already at the ball, and I didn't have to face any people.

My dress was pinned up to keep the skirt from getting dirty. I held the mask in my hand, not wanting to put it on until later. I found a blue headband to pull my hair back with, and I had even managed to find the matching shoes; blue flats with white designs on the sides, wrapping around the back. The shoes were custom made, certain places in the show tucked in and pulled out to perfectly fit my mother's foot. But, I managed to make them my own. Thankfully, my mother was not a high heel type of person.

The long walk took about thirty minutes, and I got there around Nine. I stood at the door, my nerves racing. Finally, I unpinned my dress and put my mask on before entering the house.

I had to admit, they had put a lot of effort into the decorations. The streamers and lights made a path leading to the ball room. I stepped over the threshold and into the main lobby, continuing down the path of lights. The ball room door stood at the end of the path, and I carefully opened it, entering the room.

The large space had been heavily decorated with banners, streamers, and lights. Two long tables on either side were covered with snacks and drinks. A large staircase in the back led down to the center of the room. A door off to the side was where dinner and cake would be served, then people would come back here to dance.

If I had to guess, the entire pack was here. Since the Alpha, Luna, and their son would be arriving at eleven, many people were off to the sides mingling or eating snacks. Many female wolves, unmated I assumed, stood in front of the stairs in hopes of being the first to see the alpha's son. I spotted Adalynn and Eve among them, pushing and pulling their way to the front. My step-mother was off to the side, eyeing the competition.

As I carefully slipped into the crowd, I felt suffocated by my dress, the long skirts an easy way to fall and the once lovely top now too revealing. I took deep breaths, my palms sweaty as I moved to the corner. I don't have to do anything. Just stay until midnight. My wolf whimpered, sensing my unease. Should we leave? I shook my head. We can stay here. I'm okay. I knew that wasn't an answer, but I stayed in the corner.

The minutes ticked on as I waited. Nine-thirty. I had managed to find a chair, and sat in my corner, fiddling with my skirt. Many people had asked to dance, but I refused, claiming to be a terrible dancer and quite nervous. Both were true, and soon they left the mysterious girl alone to her thoughts.

"Everyone! May I have your attention!" I flinched, my heart racing. "It is time for the dinner to start. In about an hour and a half, the Alpha and his family will be joining us back here in the ball room. If you'll follow me to the dining room." The announcer gestured towards the door next to me. I stood up, moving away just as a swarm of people ran towards the door.

I was already nervous, and didn't have much of an appetite. I started to move away when a man grabbed my arm. "Excuse me, miss, but the dining room is this way!" The announcer pushed me through the doors to the dining room. He maneuvered through the tables and sat me down at one, right in front of my step-mother. She glared at me as I shrunk back. Just my luck.