Chapter 7

Cyrus's POV

"Now, no need to nervous. Just do your best." My father clapped my shoulder, smiling proudly. 

"Cyrus, whatever happens, we love you." My mother spoke gently, her eyes sparkling. I nodded. Tonight's the night. I'll find my mate. My wolf howled excitedly.

I paced back and forth, glancing at the clock. Nine-Thirty. I sighed. Dinner should be starting around now. I felt stiff in my white dress suit, my chest constricting. Breathe... My wolf whimpered slightly, my nerves getting to him as well. I sighed. Why can't it be eleven now?

The minutes passed by as worries started to invade my mind. What if my mate rejects me? What if I never find a mate? I panicked, my wolf howling. Stay calm. I took in deep breaths. My mate couldn't possibly hate me. I'm the next Alpha.

Finally, it was time. My father and mother stood back as the door opened, then they stepped out to greet the roaring applause. My mother began a welcoming, and I zoned out, my excitement rising.

I heard my father call my name and I put my mask on before stepping out onto the top of the steps. Many girls were standing at the bottom of the stairs, watching me intently and gasping at my appearance.

As I walked down the steps, many girls tried to push closer. One girl even layed herself across my arm. My wolf immediately growled. Not my mate. Another girl in a red dress shoved the first girl off, but I moved away before she could get a chance. I looked at the mob of girls before glancing to my parents for help. My dad shook his head while my mother chuckled.

They're not our mate! Only touch mate! My wolf growled at the women surrounding me. I was ready to give up when something caught my eye. She was sitting in the corner by the dining room. Dressed in a blue dress with matching mask, she watched me, laughing at my predicament. Her face was hidden by the mask, but I could see amusement in her blue eyes and her lips were curved into a smile.

I don't know why, but I felt pulled towards the girl, making my way through the crowd until I was in front of her. Her short brown locks fell over her ears, and a blue headband pulling it back. A few strands fell out, landing on her forehead. Her mask covered half her face, only revealing her soft blue eyes and mouth. The simple blue dress hugged her body, the flowing skirt covering her legs.

Her head was turned to the side and she didn't see me. I looked around, unsure of what to do. Finally, I held out my hand. She turned, her eyes widening in surprise and recognition. "Care to dance?" I smiled, hoping to win her over.

She looked around nervously. "M-me?" Her voice was soft and afraid. I nodded and she shook her head. "Oh... I couldn't. I'm not a very good dancer. Plus, there are all those girls that want to dance with you..." 

She seemed eager to get away from me, but I pressed forward. "But I want to dance with you. Do you accept?" She looked at the crowds of people watching and gave up. Her small hand reached out, taking my own. She stood up and allowed me to lead her to the dance floor.

"Follow my lead. You'll be fine." I could tell the girl was nervous. Her body, dwarfed in my embrace, trembled slightly. I placed a hand on her waist and she flinched. Taking her other hand, I began to lead her around as another song started. I gestured to the others and soon, many couples were dancing to the tune.

The girl was right about one thing; she was a terrible dancer. Several times she stepped on my toes, or kicked my legs. "Sorry..." She mumbled, ashamed. Other times, she tripped, falling into me. When she came closer, I could smell her scent. A sweet, unidentifiable fragrance that made my wolf purr in contentment. He had been acting weird since we began dancing. Though he said nothing, I could tell.

After a few songs, she began to settle into a rhythm, following my footsteps. She leaned against my chest, her strong scent invading my nostrils. My heart pounded in my chest while my wolf yipped happily. As I considered what to do next, the clocks chimed midnight.