Chapter 15

Eli's POV

I ran through the woods, unsure of where I was going. Once I was sure I was far enough away from the house, I collasped against a tree, my breathing ragged. I stayed in wolf form, too tired to change back. I wasn't sure how long I stayed like that, but almost too soon after, I smelled the sweet scent of my mate.

I forced myself up, moving through the woods quietly to keep from being seen. I went the exact same way I came, hoping to throw them off with the trail ending by the tree. I came back to the edge of the woods, changing back.

Not wanting to anger my step-mother, I wanted to be as silent as possible when going through the house. But, as soon as I entered the house, my plan failed. I immediately came into contact with her the minute I walked through the door. Before I could process what happened, she grabbed my arm and dragged me to the basement.

"You are obviously trying to avoid something. Aren't you, Eli?"

"I-"

"I bet it's that boy, Cyrus. Your... Mate?" I felt the blood drain from my face as she smirked. "If you're so keen on getting away from him, you can just stay here forever. I'm sure Eve or Adalynn will be happy to take your place." I said nothing, afraid of what would happen if I did. My wolf was howling, begging me to run to my mate, not to let anyone else have him.

I heard the door slam shut, and the lock click. I held my breath for a moment, then began to sob. I wasn't sure why. Because I was locked in here? Because I was away from my mate? Either way, I sobbed, tears streaming down my cheeks.

I sobbed until my body was heaving and gasping for air, and my head throbbed. I forced myself to lay down and even my breathing. No movement was heard from upstairs, and I assumed it was night. I was too sore and tired to check the clock. In fact, I felt too weak to do anything other than roll over and close my eyes.

I awoke slowly, my eyelids peeling apart, stuck together by dried tears. My whole body felt rejuvenated, but still weak and sore. Every breath I took felt hard to swallow, yet life saving.

I turned to the clock, reading the hands ticking slowly. One in the afternoon. I was surprised to see that my step-mother had not woken me up, when last nights occurances came back to me. I felt like crying all over agin, but at this point, crying would do nothing to change the situation.

I figured that, by now, Cyrus had given up on his mystery girl, and was preparing to settle down with a chosen mate. The very thought brought non existent tears to my eyes, and my breathing became heavy once more.

The day passed as I sat on my bed, my thoughts eating away at my conscience. I could barely focus on anything except Cyrus. It's the effect of being away from your mate for so long. I remember my mother's constant mumbling and spacing out after my father passed. I knew all about why this was happenig. I knew exactly how to stop it. I knew what would happen if I didn't.