twenty one // call the doctor

Harry

When I eventually give in and let the paramedics take me to the hospital, I'm sat down in a room while a nurse looks at the cut in my left hand, which is probably due to a piece of glass cutting into it or something. I try to reassure her that it's fine, that I don't need stitches, but she just tells me sit down and shut up and stitches it up anyway. I fidget and glance around the whole time, just waiting for her to be finished so I can go and see where Alicia is.

"Keep still, for gods sake," the nurse demands for about the hundredth time and I let out a frustrated sigh.

"I just don't see the point in doing this, I have other stuff to do." I tell her and she raises an eyebrow at me.

"Like what?"

"Like find out what's happening with Alicia." I reply. "No one will tell me what's going on, not even when I asked. You were all too busy trying to drag me in here to stitch up my bloody hand."

"Well, I'm almost done here so you can feel free to run down the halls afterwards." The nurse says, prodding me with the needle a little too hard and I glare at her. It doesn't really hurt seeing as I've survived multiple wounds much worse than this, like bullet wounds, but I think she's making a point to try and hurt me a little to shut me up. "I'm sure she'll be fine, anyway. Is she your girlfriend?"

"No."

"A friend?"

"Not really."

"A close acquaintance?"    

"Sure, lets go with that. It's probably what she would say." I say and the nurse gives me a sceptical look. 

"Where were you headed?" The nurse asks curiously. "Don't tell me you were kidnapping her."

I want to say "no, I've already done that," but I decide it's probably not the smartest option, not if I don't want the cops to be called anyway. 

So instead, I just shrug and say "To see another friend, but it's not really your business, is it?"

The nurse laughs, obviously not caring about my rudeness. "Alright, snappy." She teases, cleaning my hand with the wet cloth once again. "Right, all done."

"Thank god for that." I say, pulling my hand back to inspect it before letting it drop to my side again and standing up.

The nurse shakes her head at me, packing away the supplies she used. "You can go find your girl now."

I'm just about to rush out of the room but I pause, turning around to look back at her with a frown. "She's not my girl."

"Your close acquaintance then, whatever." The nurse laughs. "Oh, if I were you, go to the reception in the west wing. It's never too busy there so they should be able to find out where she is pretty quickly."

I nod and then I'm running out of the hospital room and down the long, echoey corridors, my trainers making an awful squeaky sound against the polished floor. Just as I'm making my way into the west wing, I bump into someone and I'm about to shove them back and swear at them when I look up to find Liam.

"Oh, you came," I greet him. "Good. I'm just going to see Alicia-"

"I've already seen her." Liam says and I stop dead in my tracks, peering at him curiously. "Well, not actually seen her or spoken to her but I found out she's in the ICU."