thirty five // take care

Alicia

"Can you hurry the fuck up? We need to leave soon!" Harry tells me for about the 100th time, loudly knocking his fist on the bathroom door again.

"I'm almost done," I reply frustratingly as I apply one final coat of mascara to my lashes.

After Harry quickly grabbed a suit and a mask to wear for the party, I begged him to buy me some makeup. At first he refused, saying he wasn't spending his money on 'stupid shit to paint your face with', but he finally gave in after realizing I wouldn't shut up otherwise. I also told him that if he didn't, I would stay back at the hotel all alone, which was an idea that he clearly didn't like.

I've put on foundation, setting it with powder as well as adding some contour and highlight, smokey eyes with several coats of mascara and winged eyeliner. To finish it all off, I've swiped a coat of red lipstick across my lips. I know it's a lot, but I haven't worn makeup in so long and it feels fun to plaster it all onto my face, even if Harry is complaining how long I'm taking.

Before I head out, I reach up to secure the pins in my hair. I've gone for a half up, half down type of style but it's proven to be difficult to obtain with all these pins slipping and falling. When I decide I'm finally done getting ready, I give myself a small smile in the mirror, hoping to reassure myself.

Reaching out for the handle, I throw open the bathroom door just as Harry is about to knock on it again. "Finally," he huffs, bringing down his fist, looking angry and annoyed from having to wait so long, although his expression softens once he sees me.

"Calm down. I'm ready now," I tell him, heading out into the bedroom and taking another look in the full length mirror propped up against the wall, turning to inspect the dress from other angles. I frown slightly as I stare at my reflection, running my fingers through my hair and letting out a small sigh. "Harry, do I look ok?"

He pauses, his expression showing that he wasn't expecting me to ask that. He turns around to face me, taking this time to fully look me up and down. I watch him as his eyes carefully scan over every inch of my body like he's inspecting every part of me, every hair, every crevice, as if he has all the time in the world. I keep my eyes locked onto his face for the whole time he does this, trying to read his expression.

He surprises me when he takes a large stride forward, gently grabbing my chin between his thumb and forefinger to tilt my face up towards him. His eyes continue to scan my face before the edges of his mouth lift slightly, his lips arching into small smile as his gaze meets mine once again, looking me right in the eyes.

"You look beautiful," he finally replies in a soft voice, his thumb slightly stroking underneath my chin.

My lips stretch up into a pleased smile, his compliment causing my heart to flutter inside my chest. "Thank you, Harry," I reply quietly.

"You're welcome," he says, moving his hand away from my chin. Our eyes are still suck on each other's when he pulls away, making it feel like a million emotions are rushing between us with just that one look. He furrows his eyebrows when he notices a small smile on my lips after I've scanned him up and down, looking confused. "What's the matter?"

"Nothing, it's just that your tie is a bit skew-whiff," I tell him, causing Harry to glance down to check. I laugh, shaking my  head as I reach out to help him. "Here, let me."

I can tell he's about to protest but then he finally gives in, dropping his hands to allow me to do his tie. I let out a sigh as I undo his tie, deciding to do it again from scratch. Harry's gaze is stuck on me the whole time, his bright eyes watching me intently as I remember how to do it, pulling the tie through the neck loop.