seventy six // disguise

Alicia

"Are you ok, love?"

My eyes flicker open at the sound of a man's voice, although they immediately squint when I'm met by a series of bright lights beaming down on me. I blink a few times to refocus my vision before slowly pulling myself up from where I was apparently laying down, however I'm suddenly overwhelmed by a dizzy spell taking over me and I almost fall back down again.

"Whoa, be careful," the man tells me, gripping hold of my arm to keep me up.

I momentarily close my eyes, trying to regain some sense of surroundings before opening them again, peering up at the man above me. "W-where am I?"

"You're at the tube station," the man tells me, staring at me with a puzzled look.

"Oh," I say, finally sitting up properly. I glance around me to find I'm in a waiting room, sat on one of the seats in the row I must've fallen asleep on.

When I look up at the man again, I notice his eyebrows are furrowed, a confused expression on his face as he studies me carefully. It's in this moment that I seem to remember that my hair is black, messily chopped like a child was playing with scissors, and I'm wearing an outfit that doesn't really match. I must look like a right mess, so I'm not surprised that I'm receiving that kind of reaction.

"Where you headed, darlin'?" the man asks me, and when I glance down I notice that he's still gripping hold of my arm.

"Um....the airport," I reply, trying to pull my arm away, but he seems to be stopping my efforts or plainly just ignoring them.

"At this time?"

My eyes flicker up to the clock ticking away on the wall, displaying the time of 9:45. "It's not that late."

"Maybe not, but I don't think a young girl like you should be traveling alone at this hour."

There's a hint of concern in his voice, but even I can tell that it's forced, that he's putting it on to try and sound kind, caring even. I hate to judge, and I'm sure that if I saw this man in the middle of the day, I would just think he's a nice old man innocently offering his help.

But right now, when I'm lost, running on almost no sleep, and sat in a deserted tube station at night, he doesn't quite come across like that. Not to mention that he's still gripping hold of my arm, which he doesn't seem to be letting go off anytime soon. The alarm bells are already ringing in my head.

"I'll be fine," I say, giving my arm another tug and finally pulling it from his clutch. I fold my arms over my chest in some kind of attempt to protect myself and show him my defiance, but he doesn't seem to be picking up on the message.

"Tell you what," he says as he leans in closer, causing me to lean the other way. I raise my gaze to meet his, although I wish I didn't when I find his cold blue eyes staring straight into mine. "How about you come back with me?"

My heart begins to hammer inside my chest and I begin to feel my hands shaking slightly. "What?"

"You could get something to eat, have a drink, figure out where you're going next?" he offers with a smile, although it's not sincere at all, more plain creepy.

"I already know where I'm going, thanks," I snap, trying to put more distance between us but he just moves closer again.

"Oh come on, I'm just trying to be nice," he tries to convince me. "I'm trying to help."

When he places his hand on my thigh, I immediately jump up from my seat, taking several steps back. "I don't need your fucking help!" I seethe. "So get away from me, you creep."