forty four // she is love

Alicia

"Can I pack some of my clothes in your bag?" I ask Harry the next afternoon, half of my clothes already spread out on the floor and the rest on the bed, much to Harry's annoyance.

"What, you have more clothes than me now?" he asks in disbelief, raising an eyebrow at the mess I've made in such a short amount of time.

"No, I need more clothes, but I need space for this makeup," I remind him, gesturing towards the makeup bag on the bed and then to my face. "I put some of it on today to look a little more alive."

"Oh, I was wondering how come you looked less rubbish today," he teases with a playful smirk.

"Hey!" I scold him, whacking him gently in the chest.

"Kidding, baby," he chuckles lightly but I just shoot him a disapproving look, rolling my eyes even though I love this silly, playful side of him.

Ever since our heavy conversation in bed and then out in the garden last night, I've noticed Harry's been doing his best to keep the mood light between us. He's been messing around, teasing me, cracking jokes, all of which are pretty awful, but I know he's doing it to try and cheer me up, keep a smile on my face, keep me laughing instead of crying. It's heartwarming that he's doing this for me, that he seems to care for me so much he'll do anything to keep me happy, because like he told me yesterday, making sure I'm happy is what calms him the most.

"I used some of it to cover the bruises along my jaw, see?" I tell him, turning my head to the side slightly so he can see my now seemingly clear skin. The bruises on my jaw weren't too difficult to conceal because half of them have faded a little, but I still don't want them to be noticeable to anyone.

"You shouldn't have had to do that," Harry says softly, running his thumb along my jawline, trailing the skin where he knows the bruises are buried underneath.

"I know, but I can only imagine the weird looks I'd get if people saw them," I say, glancing up at him. "Besides, I don't want anyone thinking that you did it."

"If they thought that, then I'd knock them out."

"That would just look worse."

"I don't really care what other people think, as long as you know I'd never hurt you," Harry says, taking a step forward to cup my face between his hands, pulling me closer to him.

"Of course I know that," I assure him softly. I clearly surprise him when I lean forward to place my mouth to his, placing a quick but firm kiss on his lips. Our lips separate but neither of us pull away, our faces only a few inches apart, my eyes flickering up to his. "Do you think this whole running away thing is going to work?"

"We're not running away, princess," Harry reminds me with a small laugh.

"Going away to find my dad, whatever," I correct myself, rolling my eyes. "We'll both be safe, right?"

"You'll be safe, you don't need to worry about me," Harry says and I raise my eyebrows.

"Stop saying that. Of course I worry about you," I tell him, almost melting when his thumbs begin brushing against my cheeks like he always does. "You're the only thing I have left to care about right now."