thirty seven // run and hide

Alicia

My heart begins to thump with the realisation that Harry's look gives me and an immense amount of fear begins to flood through my veins, making my heart speed up. The man I'm dancing with now could be the one Owen warned Harry about, the one that could be here in search for me. And I've probably fallen right into his trap.

I strategically yank on the man's arm so he spins us around again and I'm able to look over his shoulder to face Harry. His worried expression doesn't falter, although I manage to read his lips from the bar, understanding the words 'stay there' and 'don't tell him anything'. I nod slowly but then I'm spun around again, cutting off my view of Harry once more.

"You're a good dancer," the man compliments, letting his dark eyes meet mine and a chill shoots down my spine.

"Thank you," I tell him with a bright, but very fake, smile. "You're not too bad yourself."

The man chuckles. "So I've been told. Well, I used to be told I had two left feet but I think I've improved over the years. I guess I should be thankful that I'm dragged to these lavish parties all the time."

I laugh along with him, trying my best to act calm even though my heart is beating so hard I'm surprised everyone in this room can't hear it.

"What about you?" He suddenly asks and I raise my eyebrows.

"Me?"

"Yes. You," He replies deeply, his eyes boring into mine. "Please, tell me a little about the girl who is a rather impeccable dancer."

I fake laugh again, a dozen thoughts rushing around in my head as I try and think of something to say. "Well, what is it you want to know?"

The man smiles. "Your name, for staters," he says, sending a nervous chill through me when he uses his index finger to stroke the end of my mask. Even though his finger is not directly touching my face, I still want it off. "And then maybe a few more things about the beautiful girl who hides behind this lace mask."

"Isn't mystery supposed to be extremely sexy on a woman?" I ask, trying to seductively cock my head to the side. The man chuckles before nodding in reply to my comment.

"Hmm, yes. I suppose it is," He replies, running his tongue along his lips as he glances down at me, the action making me nauseous. "Incredibly so."

"Then I guess my identity has to remain a secret," I say, fighting off a grimace as I feel his hand tighten around my waist. I let my eyes flicker back up to his, wondering when the hell Harry is planning to save me from this. "But what about you? Would you mind sharing your name with me?"

"I'm Ross," the man says and I immediately begin to rack my brain, thinking of anyone that could've been mentioned with that name, but it doesn't ring a bell. Great.

"Well, nice to meet you, Ross," I say, flashing him a smile. "So. What brings you here tonight?"

"You know, just business to take care of," Ross says and I nod understandingly, pretending to care. "How about you?"

"The open bar, obviously," I joke and Ross chuckles again.

"I do appreciate a good sense of humour," He says, making me flinch slightly when his thumb brushes along my cheek, although his hand is cold and rough and his touch doesn't comfort me like Harry's does, it disgusts me instead. "I knew I would like you."