Step-horrors

Chapter One

I stood barefoot in front of our new home, sand sifting in between my toes. I peered up at the beach home, finding its towering exterior and wooden stilts intimidating. My step-sister Dahlia brushed past me, knocking into my shoulder. I stumbled forward, gripping my box before looking up and meeting her teasing eyes. She smirked, turning back around and stepping delicately up the stairs.

I took a deep breath in, the salty air filling my senses. After mentally preparing myself, I headed up the stairs and into my new home. Well, it wasn't new exactly. It was our summer home, and god I hated summers. Not because of the heat, or the fact that the private beach was literally thirty feet away. I had a joint room with my sister. Joint as in we shared the same bathroom and she could walk in any time she liked.

The entry way was sandy, and Dahlia's bright pink flip-flops were already littered across the wooden floor. I wiggled my feet, shaking off any excess sand before stepping onto the plush carpet and heading up the stairs to my room.

My walls were a soft green, a relief from the consistent white all around the house. Even Dahlia's walls were white, and I found it disgusting. There was no life here, and it made me feel trapped; trapped in a house with people who hated me.

My father was the only one who showed the least bit of fondness over me, and that was because he was convinced that with my good grades I would become a potential owner of a part of his company. My brother Marcus had taken over since my father retired and moved us here, and he was looking for a trusted someone to share half of the company with. Apparently I was going to be that trusted someone.

I didn't mind it though; my life was set out for me, and not in a bad way. I would be rich, live in a luxurious penthouse somewhere far away from my awful step-horrors and maybe start a family with someone. Not bad at all.

Of course my fortunate future came with an unfortunate price. My step-horrors hated me. They hated me because I came first in my father's eyes, and they were used to being spoiled. I got first pick for college, I got first pick on redecorating, or if I wanted to go shopping he took me first. Not that I wanted to go shopping ever. In my father's eyes I was the smart angel who would be carrying on his business; in my step-horrors eyes I was the spoiled nerd who was ruining their lives. How? I'm not so sure.

I set my box on the bed, ready to go get more when Dahlia barged in my room through our connected door. She sashayed, as if she had an audience, over to my bed where she stopped and placed a hand on her hip.

"I just wanted you to know our bathroom is not going to be littered with your pathetic hair products and cheap makeup." She chewed her gum loudly, as if it were a style to smack your lips like you were eating the best T-bone steak ever.

"Okay..." I trailed off, not sure what the problem was. Unlike her, I owned shampoo, conditioner, and some mascara. My stuff was not going to be noticeable under her piles of crap that she never used. She huffed, upset that I wasn't affected in any way.

"Just letting you know. If I see something of yours that was under ten dollars I'm throwing it out because it's trash." She blew a bubble, and I noticed her gum suspiciously matched her outfit.

"You've got a mascara clump darling, several actually." She clenched her lips, fuming. I smiled, turning away and walking out of my room. She followed me, stomping down the hallway behind me.

"Well I probably accidentally used yours since you pick yours up at the local thrift store you piece of shit!" She yelled after me. I was heading down the stairs, and smirked to myself when I saw my father heading up next to me.

"Dahlia Collins!" He roared, quickening in pace. I looked behind my shoulder to see her shrink back, her eyes widening.

The yelling was cut short as the front screen door clasped shut, and I was met with the rhythmic sound of the ocean. My step-mom, Evangeline, glared at me from her position next to the car.

"Why are you always getting my girl in trouble Athena?" She asked curtly, lifting up a small box. Figures, she's too pretty to strain her perfect body.

"What? I didn't ask your daughter to call me a piece of shit; it comes naturally to her with her low vocabulary and all." I shrugged, signaling that the topic was over.

Dinner was tense; both step-horrors had been glaring at me ruthlessly. I knew I would pay for it later, whether it was pushing me down the stairs or putting flour in my hair dryer I was equally terrified. Dahlia and Evangeline had their ways of getting revenge and making it look like it was my fault. I was not looking forward to it.

"So girls." My father said, cutting the tension with his oblivious attitude. Sometimes I wondered how he wasn't aware of how much his adopted family hated me. "You'll be starting school tomorrow." He said, beaming at us.

Dahlia whined, slumping back in her seat.

"But daddy, I'm tired and I have to unpack all my clothes first." She complained in her expert 'give me what I want or I'll cry' voice. Father gave her an uncertain look, before turning to me.

"Well... If that's the case I don't want my girl to get bad grades her first week because I strained you too hard." He said, tilting his head. "Athena, are you fine to go to school?"

As much as I despised school, it was worth seeing the look on Dahlia's face. She made my school life a living nightmare, bullying me and isolating me since I was ten. I put on my brightest smile; turning to my dad and watching his features soften at my face.

"Yes daddy, I feel completely fine. I'm full of energy actually." I said my turning my gaze to Dahlia. My father cut into his food.

"Well, if Athena is okay to go to school then you'll manage too." He said, putting a bite of salmon into his mouth, leaving no room for argument. Of course Dahlia always wiggled her way in there.

"But don't you want me to get good grades? I can't do that if I'm tired."

The table was silent as my father chewed his food, and I saw Dahlia gulp nervously. Finally he swallowed, looking Dahlia dead in the eye. Once dad made his decision, it was final. Accomplished businessmen never let others, even family, dissuade their decisions.

"You don't need to get good grades sweetheart, Athena is the only one I'm counting on."

I could see Dahlia's face lighten at his words. That meant she could slack off, but it still wasn't an extra day off from school. She huffed loudly, pushing out of the chair and stomping up the stairs. My father waited until her door slammed shut to sigh.

I however was smiling down at my plate, letting my dark hair hide my pleased features.

*~*

So guys! 

Things are moving a bit slow but I just thought it was important to introduce you to her family and get a glimpse of her life at home before everything starts. 

Picture is Dahlia.

Please bear with me for school is next chapter and things are bound to get interesting. Hot blondes await! 

Thanks for reading! Leave a vote if you liked it, your support means everything to me.

If you've read this far comment 'step-horrors are the worst'