Pancakes and Weirdo Kids

Chapter Two

I walked downstairs whilst putting my hair up into its usual ponytail. I could smell Evangeline's pancakes, and my mouth immediately watered. That was her only good quality, this woman could cook. I entered the kitchen, seating myself at the island next to Dahlia. She was currently reapplying her lip-gloss in a compact mirror, and her mother was just finishing her pancakes.

Upon seeing me Evangeline stood up, smiling sweetly at me. I sat there, completely stunned. Had she just smiled at me? She must be high. That's the only explanation. After I came to my conclusion that my step-mother was now a stoner, she turned with my plate in her hands.

"Your breakfast dear." She sung, her pink lips turned up into what appeared like a sincere smile. I neared, sniffing the air to smell for any Mary-J. I stuck my hand out cautiously, knowing she was playing me somehow.

She retracted her arm when my father entered the kitchen. Yep, something was definitely up. He was fastening his tie, and he leaned in to peck Evangeline on the lips.

"Where are you going? I thought you were retired." Dahlia said blandly, asking out of curiosity, not because she cared. He smiled at her, patting me on the head.

"Well, I'm still an important man and I have to go to a few meetings now and then." He ruffled her hair and she sat rigid, her face growing red. "Don't worry; I'll still be able to spend time with my girls." He flashed me a look before disappearing out of the kitchen.

"Yay..." Dahlia said in a voice shaky with anger. She was fixing her hair with one hand while she fanned herself with the other. I fought back a snort of laughter. I had forgotten how obsessed Dahlia was about her hair.

Evangeline chuckled lightly, her face rosy pink in an intense blush. I rolled my eyes. She was insanely in love with my father, and while some may find it cute, I found it disturbing. She was at least 20 years younger than him.

"Alright girls, time for school." She said, setting my plate down.

"I haven't eaten." I said pointedly, making my way towards my food. She blocked my path with an innocent smile, taking my plate.

"What, this food?" She asked politely. Okay rehab was probably on its way, very soon.

"That would be the one." I replied coolly.

She raised up the plate, tilting it over until the pancakes slid over the edge and splat on the floor. The beautiful, perfect, pancakes. I raised my face to hers, finding her smile revolting. She pinched my nose.

"Oops." She brushed past me, heading out the door with a snickering Dahlia behind her.

And there it was, but something told me that wasn't the end of their revenge mission. It never was.

Riverfield High was large, I mean, extremely large. Were they expecting all of California to attend here? There weren't that many rich kids. The building looked ancient, like a cathedral or something. The only hint at modern technology was the blue lockers that lined the sides of the school. I joined the large crowd of kids, practically being carried in through the doors.

I stumbled to a stop once inside, everyone dispersing their own ways and leaving me to catch my breath. Never was I doing that again. I looked around for Dahlia, knowing that she would be getting her schedule at the front office. I located her blonde hair on the other side of the massive entryway, already chatting with three girls. We made eye contact, and she sent me a menacing glare.