Once A Week

Chapter 14

My alarm clock blared loudly into the morning, and my shaky fingers anxiously shut it off. I groaned, morning sunlight peeking through my curtains and illuminating my room in a dim yellow. It was too bright. I squeezed my eyes shut, my head roaring at me. I opened one eye, catching a glimpse of the half full vodka bottle on my nightstand. I groaned loudly, instantly regretting what I had done. Why had I gotten so plastered in the middle of the day anyways?

Right... Peter. He was still in my head, jumbling my thoughts from afar. I groaned again, rolling over in my covers. I needed to go to school, I'd missed too many days anyways and there was no penthouse if my grades slipped more than they already had. I threw the covers off of me, embracing the chill that touched my skin.

I looked down at my bare legs, running a thumb over the fading bite-marks. Scars, a reminder for the rest of my days that I used to be someone's snack. I could say goodbye to my tan surfer guy I always dreamed about marrying. No one would marry someone who had bite marks littering their body. They'd think it was evidence of a cult, or my own freaky fetishes. Though I could always pin it on my crazy step-sister.

I stepped out of bed, raising my arms in a wide arc and stretching. Yawning, I thumped to my closet, already hearing the shrill sound of Dahlia's deluxe straightener going off in our conjoined bathroom. I picked out jeans and a plain black shirt, glancing in the mirror and admiring the way it made my hair color more noticeable than it already was. I grabbed my mascara from my dresser, using my dresser mirror to apply it.

There was no way I was going to willingly listen to Dahlia critique my every move while I put on makeup. Not now, when I was in the worst of moods. I grabbed my brush, running it delicately through my bird's nest of hair, careful not to worsen my headache; when I caught sight of Evangeline's vodka in the reflection. I stared at it, gulping down the sour taste in my throat. I pinned my hair up in a sloppy bun, too engrossed in resisting the urge to drink again to care about my looks.

Peter. He would only plague my mind again today; I wouldn't get any work done. I took a step forward.

I could always ask to go to a different school. I stepped back in place.

Too much work, a little won't hurt, just dull the thoughts. I made my decision, quickly crossing the room and grabbing the bottle before I could start debating with myself again. I cringed as I drank, Peters image turning watery before sinking away completely, back into that dark part of my mind where it belonged.

I set the bottle down, wobbling a bit on my feet. Everything was fuzzy, distant, and I loved it. I could think about things without really thinking about them, without the rush of feelings overwhelming me into a fit of hysteria.

I grabbed an empty water-bottle from my dresser and filled it with Vodka. Just in case it started to wear off. I entered the bathroom, ignoring Dahlia who was currently talking on her phone, and brushed my teeth.

*~*

School wasn't all that bad. Carl wasn't there, and I hadn't seen Peter all day. Even if I had, I wouldn't care. I didn't care much about anything right now. I breezed through my classes, sipping from my water-bottle at my locker each passing period. I sat outside for lunch, devouring my sandwich and finishing up my homework. It was like I was on a drug that let me think about nothing else but what was going on in that moment.

I got my work done, but couldn't exactly remember what we had talked about. I was lifeless, empty like my thoughts. No one payed me enough attention to realize there was a slight wobble in my steps, or that my words were slurred at the end of my sentences. My teachers were bound to notice my scribbly handwriting though, since I pointedly made it an effort to write as neat as possible.