Gold

Chapter 18

My heartbeat went wild in my chest as the immense pleasure I had just been floating in was ripped away. My hands reached out as I tried weakly to get it back. But it was gone now, I could tell. I licked my lips, opening my eyes.

I was in my room, and a dip in my bed next to me told me I wasn't alone. My eyes flicked to the side, and I saw Peter staring at me, relief slightly visible among his features.

That small, tucked away part of me that desperately craved his attention was lying in the open now, bare and visible in my eyes. There was no shutting it out this time; it had settled into my heart, tainting my soul with its bitter sweetness.

"Peter." I rasped. My mouth was unusually dry, and right now his name was the only thing I could utter.

The corner of his mouth quirked up in the beginning of a smile, and I found my cheeks burning. Since when did I blush when Peter smiled?

While there was a new addition to the list of things I absolutely adored, something was also missing. It made me feel light, yet I knew something was terribly wrong. Like a heavy burden that had been weighing down on my existence was lifted, but at the cost of something horrifying. I just needed to figure out what.

I shrugged off the feeling, trying to remember how I had gotten to my room. The last thing I remembered was being at school, Carl approaching me, and then nothing. Had I gotten sick? I turned my head, and a wave of pain struck my nerves. I cried out, reaching for my neck as it throbbed.

Peter grabbed my hand, his eyes emotionless as he prevented me from touching it. Eventually the pain faded.

"Jeez." I muttered. "I must've slept wrong." I said, rubbing my neck. Peter frowned at me, shaking his head.

"You don't remember do you?" He asked, confusion laced in his words. I frowned back at him, giving him an odd look that said 'explain please'.

Peter stood, his fingers running through his hair. I thought I saw a flash of guilt, but when he looked at me again, it was gone.

"You got mixed up in some stuff with an ex-business partner." He sucked in a breath, and I wondered if this was the first time I had seen him nervous. Peter was never disheveled; it wasn't in his nature, how else would he look and act like a Greek god?

"You died Athena."

Those three words, it was like a blow to the gut. My body didn't allow me to move, not that I would have said anything anyways. I was stuck in this grey area. It was small and almost non-existent, the grey between the black and white, between the 'I believe you' and the 'stop joking around'.

I just sat there, my eyes trapped in his, trying so hard to just think. Peter suddenly moved, wrapping an arm around me and lifting me off of the bed. Once I was on my feet he led me to the mirror, and that's when I stepped into the white. When the grey disappeared forever and the black faded away.

My eyes.

My unearthly and inhumanly beautiful eyes.

Not only were they supernaturally alluring, but they were golden.

Gold.

I opened my mouth, my eyes trailing down the rest of my body.

There was something different about it as well. Maybe something not physical, but there was a grace in the way I stood, a certain power hanging in the air around me. I was completely and utterly terrified of myself... and also strangely pleased.